Optimizing For Ram

Guest EricFoy

Guest EricFoy

Okay...

I just stuck my 4 GB of DDR into my new AMD 4200+ Athlon 64 x2 system.

It is slower than before. Very anticlimactic. wacko.gif

Anybody know any secrets on how to make Winblowz XP work well with large amounts of RAM?

I assume you are using the 64bit version of XP no? If that is the case, I do not believe the /3GB switch still applies (that is a 32-bit switch only... pre-implemented in the 64-bit version).

I would say: check your (new) memory specs and make sure you got apples and apples (vs. apples and oranges). Also, have a look as your pagefile (vitural memory) specs, and make sure they are all in order (generally your pagefile should be between 1.5-2 x the ammount of physical memory, but there is a 4GB filesize max if you are using a FAT32 file system).

If you have NTFS filesystem and 64-bit windows, I agree with Dr.K - check out that memory.

Edit: Do you have (or need) ECC (error checking in the memory if you have it) enabled in your BIOS... that will slow things down a little bit... huh.gif

Edited by Mike Twining

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mrosenberg

Hello all,

I'm too still having 'low memory' issues after adding 2gb of ram. I tried the 3GB switch on my Dell (P4, 3gb Ram) but it just screwed up my system untill I switched it back. Firefox and itunes were screwing up and wouldn't start, some other apps too. Has anyone experienced that besides me? Or have any clue what to do? Thanks.

Hello all,

I'm too still having 'low memory' issues after adding 2gb of ram. I tried the 3GB switch on my Dell (P4, 3gb Ram) but it just screwed up my system untill I switched it back. Firefox and itunes were screwing up and wouldn't start, some other apps too. Has anyone experienced that besides me? Or have any clue what to do? Thanks.

15138[/snapback]

If I remember correctly, the 3GB switch needed an additional patch to the system for many WinXP SP1 (and earlier?) systems. It should work fine with XP SP2.

Beat