Constraints And Configuaration

llong

I would like to start using constraints on my assembly models as a means of guaranteeing that everything is assembled properly without any gaps or overlaps. This is easily accomplished IronCAD however, once I have an assembly model done I typically then make a configuration of it as an exploded assembly to be exported and put into our owners manual for the product so the end user of our products can easily see what parts they need to order. The problem is that IronCAD can't turn off the constraints in a given configuration globally, so as to be able to explode it in a different configuration. Does anyone know of a work around for this, or has anyone else encountered this challenge? Thanks for your thoughts.

It is not easy. You could unlock the positional constraints and then position (Make sure you create a Position Stored Configuration first). You could make a copy of your file. Then under the Constraints in the scene browser, delete them. Then you would be free to move around. Issue with that is if changes are made to the geometry.

Cary

Guest Urban Olars

We have struggled with this for 6 years now and it is a real pain. The workaround we use is to make a copy of the assembly and delete all the constraints. Then we can make an exploded view of it.

Every time a change is made to the "real" assembly, we delete the dummy assembly and do all the work all over again. I can't understand that we have to do something like this in a CAD software year 2006.

• 2 weeks later...

Some CAD softwares use constraints as a way of knowing how to automatically explode an assembly. Without the constraints, explode will not work.

Exploded configration is saved as part of the original assembly file.

Currently, the use of configurations and constraints is almost mutually exclusive. I have asked for configuration-specific constraints ever since IC6, but surprisingly never got much of an echo in the forum. Maybe we get it for IC10 (or would that be ICX) if some more people raise their hands...

Beat