Escher Knot

Believe or "escher knot" I have to model this for a project. Can anyone provide a way to do this in IC fairly easy? or know the formula that maybe the Formula Curve could use?

I tried 3D curves but it won;t allow me to "cross" cuves and when I need a smmoth curve.

Any help is appreciated.

Tom

EscherKnot.gif

click for animation

Edited by tlehnhaeuser

See if this is what you want. I made a frame with 2D curves (much easier to manipulate than 3D curves), then traced around it with a 3D spline. Then I created a 2D circle on the spline (it seems to come in with the extrude direction tangent to the spline), right-clicked on the circle & selected Create->Sweep. I used the 3D curve as the path & voila!

-Mike

escher_knot.ics

I modeled one just before that with a slightly smaller cross section that didn't have the facets. When I increased the cross section diameter, the facets showed up.

I just checked some of the IntelliShapes & the torus has facets, but the part torus doesn't - until you change the spin value to 360º.

The only hypothesis I can come up with is when I increased the diameter of the cross section, the "insides" of the turns get close to kinking, so IronCAD switches to a less-smooth surface to compensate.