Fixing Bom Quantities

IronCLAN,

OK, here’s a situation, we have a user that just generated a complex design and has now decided to add a BOM to a drawing. The problem is they have hundreds of fasteners all of the same type but are not linked. So when the BOM is created the list is as long as the East Coast. They cannot use the “Quantity based on part number” yet because they had not included that information yet on the parts.

So does anyone know a way to have to BOM quantity list one fastener with quantity of XXX without changing each parts info separately?

This is a huge task if there’s no workaround.

Several ways that would be needed (ER’s if there’s no way to do it currently) is:

a) Ability to select all the parts and link them at once within the Scene. (IronCAD should be ably to recognize the parts physical makeup to determine if the parts are identical prior to assigning a link. Even if this process requires a "mathmitical process that would take and hour to do, would still be worth it.)

cool.gif Ability to select all the parts and have them link to a master external linked file. This would correct qty in BOM.

c) Ability to apply same “part number” to multiple parts at once

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

Edited by tlehnhaeuser

Well here is a possible workaround....select all the fasteners and create an assembly. Set the assembly to treat as part and set the quantity to the total number (manual calculation). This will save him some time.

I know you mentioned the link after create and it sound cool (maybe it would be), but it would be a serious calculation due to variables (are any linked, external linked, brep the same, kernel, any property different, sizebox same, anchor at the selected level in same local coordinate, etc). Taking an hour could be a reality.

His case is really a hard one to workaround since he did not link or link out before copy.

Cary

I know you mentioned the link after create and it sound cool (maybe it would be), but it would be a serious calculation due to variables (are any linked, external linked, brep the same, kernel, any property different, sizebox same, anchor at the selected level in same local coordinate, etc). Taking an hour could be a reality.

14354[/snapback]

Thanks Cary,

Thats a workaround that may work as a temp fix. Also to calaculate the number in the assembly I assume I would have them either Xlink to separate file or drag Assy to catalog and new scene and do an Assebly Tree Exort to determine the number of fasteners in that assy? To count manually is not an option.

Also, even if there was a separate add-on tool that just Did the Relink process and even if it took several hours, I see this as a huge benefit since this "process" could be done after-hours or over the weekends when the user is not at work. I think this requires a roundtable discussion in R/D since I come across this often but with smaller assemblies. I'm sure many users have come across a need to relink parts for more than one reason.

thanks

Tom

I guess, all we really need is the ability to select several parts and change their common properties at once. That would also allows us to change rendering properties, densities (there's currently another thread on this subject), names, part number, descriptions, and so on batch-wise. Sounds like a great ER to me. Shouldn't be too difficult to implement, should it?

Beat

PS: Retrograde linking would be great, too, of course. But it's quite obvious that it harbors a number of pitfalls (in addition to the amount of number crunching required).

PS#2: Tom, I see you been promoted to Triball (is there something coming after that?). Congratulations! How does it feel to be clicked, spun and pushed around all the time? laugh.gif

PS#3: Mike, what about your post count? ohmy.gif That can't be real can it?

Edited by B. Ludin

PS#3: Mike, what about your post count?  ohmy.gif  That can't be real can it?

14372[/snapback]

You are not accusing anyone at IronCAD of padding my post count by about 14000 or so due to numerous complaints and smart-ass remarks are you? That would just be wrong wink.gif

Beat....The change properties on multiple select has some of the same issues as the links. We would have to filter through all the parts to determine what can be changed if the parts are different. To determine what is different is the same as the links. In the drawing environment, we now support this, however it is a ton easier since you are not changing geometry or looking to see if the geometry is different. We simply look at the type of element and its properties. This is not the case for 3D unfortunately.

Cary

I was thinking more along the lines (of a macro run in the scene):

-Search for all parts who have the part name "x" (<-simple input field)

-Set each of those found items to have a part number "y" (<- another simple input field)

Kinda a poor man's re-link.

I don't think it will take too much time (especially considering the alternatives when you are looking at 8k parts), but I'm fighting IT for my VB 6 CD back....

Edited by Mike Twining

What mike is suggesting should be possible in the old automation using VB. I think it should be possible in the ICAPI as well (I have never looked).

There may be another way....You can use the Save As External Batch. It saves based on the Part Name. If they all have the same name, I think it saves as Name_1, Name_2, and so on. It would link out everything however. I have attached the code if you want to try it to change it to use the file already saved out (Relink basically). Register the DLL and add it in the Add-ons as SaveAs.Link to see the current behavior.

Cary

SaveAsLink.zip

Beat....The change properties on multiple select has some of the same issues as the links. We would have to filter through all the parts to determine what can be changed if the parts are different. To determine what is different is the same as the links. ...Cary

14376[/snapback]

Cary, I don't agree. Simply filtering through the very limited number (approx. 60)of property values of parts is going to be orders of magnitude faster than comparing their geometries. And it is pretty straightforward, too. True, if you select hundreds or thousands of parts, the delay will become quite noticeable. But it is still a great lot faster than having to change the properties for each part one at a time. A flight from London to N.Y. can seem pretty long, too - but not if swimming is your only alternative wink.gif

And if there are some properties which may create problem (variables are the only ones I can think of), just make them inaccessible when more than one part is selected.

Cheers,

Beat

You are not accusing anyone at IronCAD of padding my post count by about 14000 or so due to numerous complaints and smart-ass remarks are you? 

14374[/snapback]

Not in a gazillion years would I ever dare to insinuate anything even remotely similar.

On a side note, it's interesting that Tom with some 2000 votes has the same status as you. Looks like the only evolutionary step up from Triball is extinction or conversion to a SW minion (the former being clearly preferable, of course) tongue.gif

Beat

Actually... the "TriBall" tag came right after my 14K bonus posts... I mean.. well... shoot...

I-beam used to be the top-cat, but what is cooler than the Tri-ball no? Seems fitting to me. I was more powerfull than Tom for about 2 posts... As for all the posts... lets be honest. Anyone who spends enough time on this forum knows that Tom is the man, and I've just bribed my way to the top.

...and I wouldn't wish those evolutionary alternatives on anyone...

Edited by Mike Twining

Beat,

The editing of multiple properties would work easily on basic tabs like material. But if you wanted to apply BOM information, I think a user would want to verify the parts are the same (i.e. you would not want to blast all selected with part number xyz unless the parts are the same). In order to determine this, you would need a geometry check, hence the time.

Cary