Projected Area And Its Centerpoint

Hi!

I'm trying to find a way to meassure a projected area and its area center point.

I have big steelstructures as frame or lattice work and need the projeced area and the centerpoint of that so I can then calculate windpressure acting on that.

Anyone out there who know a metod?

/ Marcus

Guest IronKevin

If you create a Surface shape from a face then the Analysis command should give you the area and center of that area.

IK

Any ideas how to create a surface like that?

It is like an assembly and everything that is solid shall be calculated as area and holes (no geometry) shall be as no area.

It is very much like if you would put a light on the assembly and look at the shadow. Then it is the shadow I'm after.

/ Marcus

Try throwing a section plane through the part, then right click on the section plane & select "create section geometry". Then you can select your new surface and use the analysis tools on that.

...if that dosen't work, you need to use the "project 3d edge" to produce a 2d profile, then extrude that 2d shape, then extract a surface from that in order to use the analysis tools.

I have big power line towers with lattice work.

Both methods sounds like they will not work very well.

The shapes isn't in one plane.

It will be alot of work project edges to a 2D-shape and then do something with that.

Thank you anyway for the suggestion.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Otherwise I will post it as an ER.

/ Marcus

Option #3:

Make a 2D drawing out of the view you want (on a blank template), then export the drawing to a .dxf. Re-import that dxf into a 2D shape (in a scene). Extrude the 2d shape. Extract a surface. Use the analysis tools.

No matter what, (at this point) it is going to take you more than a couple clicks...If you want a single click profile for complex 3D Geometry then no point waiting for addl suggestions for putting in an ER.

That may be the best solution for now.

I shall give it a try. Maybe it is pretty quick to use the trim tool introduced in IC8.

I think it is sad that we have to go trough dwg/dxf to solve certain things.

Why can't it be possible to copy/paste/explode views directly in IC.

/ Marcus