Starting IronCAD launches an Office Install Window

Chris Lohman

There's a problem out there that we haven't nailed down 100% but know a little about and thus I'm posting it here.

The problem is, when you launch IronCAD, sometimes it can cause a Microsoft Office "Install" window to appear. This usually results in IronCAD not being able to function.

IronCAD uses Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) version 6. Office also uses VBA6. When IronCAD launches it initialized VBA. We haven't been able to pinpoint why office fires up but it must have something to do with VBA since that's the only common item shared between the two.

When office is first installed it seems it doesn't install "initialized". You have to run each application once for it to initialize properly. It seems like something with this can be triggered by IronCAD's use of VBA.

The one time I experienced this, the customer I was working with discovered that office behaved the same way when attempting to launch any of its applications, as it did when IronCAD launched. This customer eventually found that they just could not get Office to work at all and had to reinstall it. What they eventually did to make it work was:

1) Uninstall IronCAD

2) Uninstall Office

3) Reboot

4) Install Office

5) Use each of the office applications at least once (so they initialize) then reboot.

6) Install IronCAD

After doing the above they were able to make it work.

We can only assume that our use of the Microsoft VBA, which is shared by office, is where the connection exists.

• 8 months later...

We just installed IronCAD on several machines and found this problem (launching IronCAD launches "Microsoft Install" window for Outlook.)

We canceled the install window, and IronCAD seems to run ok, but still got the message every time we started a new IronCAD session.

On an NT4.0 machine with this problem, we launched Outlook (with IronCAD not up) got the install message, went ahead with the install, (basically creating an Outlook .pst for the user.) Then exited Outlook.

Now IronCAD launches without problem. Seems to be the fix. We have the problem on Windows2000, and WindowsXP, and will be testing this fix today. Will follow up with an update.

Seems to be less hassle than uninstall, reinstall, etc..

Engineering Innovation, Inc. - IronCAD Reseller

Cedar Rapids, IA

Guest dlalonde

I've had similar but not identical problems with unwanted installer launching.

ProDesktop's installer would launch instead of Ironcad and Rhino and something else that I can't remember.... It was persistent and required an End Process to get rid of. Finally went away when I ran ProDesktop for the first time.

• 3 months later...

The problem has to do with the fact that the first time you run an Office application after installing, the user is prompted to accept another license agreement of sorts. If this is not done, a bunch of the Office .dll's are not "initialized", and IronCAD dosen't know what to do.

...at least, this was the problem back in the 3.x days.

So, I believe it would be sufficient to just run one Office application after installation, not all (no offence to you there Chris). That will save you time if you have the big bucks and can afford all those nice Microsoft products.

Mike T.

Guest dlalonde

My theory is that if your windows installation is more than nine months old, the masking tape (that they use to patch together all of the old code) begins to break down, and chunks of your windows operating system begin to misbehave. I have asked a microsoft-believer friend about it, I'll see if he digs up anything.

FeDave

The friend replies:

'I've seen this with other programs. Orifice does not install everything by default. Ironcad is looking for a file that is still on the CD. The way I got around it is to install put the office CD in to install the missing file. (That assumes you have the CD). I don't know what it it looking for though.'

I (Dave) had so much trouble with 'orifice' messing things up (not just ironcad) that I came to the conclusion that it's just a crap product and downloaded the !free! alternative from openoffice.org, which is the opensource version of Sun Microsystem's StarOffice (which Rick will be pleased to note Runs on osX! as well as windows and Linux etc).

• 1 month later...

An update:

I successfully installed IC6 (finally!!!biggrin.gif). What we had to do to get out of the IC calling on the Office Installer was deleting my Win2000 profile, of all things. After I created a brand new profile, IronCAD called Installer once, and was it. Everything is working fine now.

Alex.