Bending Wood

David Thomas

Anybody got any bright ideas of how to bend a piece of wood ? (in the virtual world...)

I have both of the flat developed shapes and I want to bend the side piece to the curve of the bottom piece, arrow indicates the direction of bend !

I just know its going to be a really simple one but I'm stumped.

http:

bendmeupscotty.jpg

Couldn't you use Curved Stock in sheetmetal & then unfold it? You would probably have to edit your tooltbl.txt to add the correct stock thickness & play with the K factor, because I'm sure that wood & metal don't have the same bend allowance. But otherwise, it seems as though it should work.

Edited by Mike Allen

the edge on the bottom piece of wood is formed using a spline line, so its not a particular radius.  Secondly can you edit the profile of a curved bit of stock?

13421[/snapback]

Yes, you can edit the profile on curved stock - that is what it's for. A spline seems to work perfectly (although, as I said before, you would have to play with the K-factor to get the correct length when you unfold it.) But you have to use the curved stock - a regular bend can't be a spline.

spline_stock.ics

Yes, you can edit the profile on curved stock - that is what it's for. A spline seems to work perfectly (although, as I said before, you would have to play with the K-factor to get the correct length when you unfold it.) But you have to use the curved stock - a regular bend can't be a spline.

spline_stock.ics

13425[/snapback]

Mike,

You can edit the profile of a piece of curved stock, but you cannot edit the overall shape of it in the unfolded configuration (i.e. the piece of metal you would stamp out of a sheet). You can edit the shape in the folded config, ( using cut sheet metal part option) but not the other way round, as I would like it.

As for using the project 3d curve tool , hmm not sure how I would do that... what direction vetor do you use, it needs to be locally normal to the final curve.... hmmm