IronCAD 5 Lock Up on XP?

jloach

Ya. Fun.

Got a Matrox G550 in now. It actually performs quite nicely. Smooth It's hard to justify spending more than $500 more for a Fire GL2!

No freezes yet, but I'll give it a few days.

I've got ATI tech support on the line now.

OK. ATI recommends the following BIOS settings:

Increase Graphics Aperature Size from default of 32MB to 256MB.

Disable AGP 4X support, so that AGP runs in 2X only.

The Fire GL2's back in. We'll see how things go.

Thank you all for your patience, but if this gets solved it'll be great.

Guest EricFoy

Just an idea here...

I have a single athlon 1900+ system that was flakey running XP until I loaded the MB chipset drivers that came with the motherboard. I now enjoy unfettered high speed IronCAD. Could your troubles stem from this fairly new dual processor technology and all of its associated complexity?

AGP 2x !?!? After shelling out all that cash for a high-zoot card, you get to cripple it? Bummer. For the record, I am using the ATI Radeon 7500 (it's cheap), and overall display performance seems pretty good.

Also, my last computer had a habit of freezing solid with no warning, no blue screen - nothing. Then I read about a bios fix for it. Whaddya know... it worked! So, be sure to keep checking your MB vendor for bios updates. You never know...

-Eric

Guest nvikanes

quote:Originally posted by Chris Lohman:

Njal do you have a FireGL2 card also? Could this be a FireGL2 problem? Does anyone that is experiencing this problem have an alternate card that they could try? I'm running a Matrox g400 MAX

Yes, Diamond Fire GL2 (HEGA5)

Njål

id=quote>
id=quote>

i`m sure its the fire gl2.I had my new system running for 2 weeks with my old card(gloriaII) because ther was a deliverytime of three weeks on the fire gl, and i had no trouble until i installed the fire gl2. I had trouble with the drivers from the beginning: the drivers from ati for xp didnt work at all,

I downloaded the IBM-drivers(where the card came from) and they worked,But with ironcad the trouble began rite from the start

Another suggestion from ATI which seems to be working so far:

Go to Display Properties / Advanced / Troubleshoot.

Move the hardware acceleration slider from Full (far right) to one notch from the right. The text then reads "Disable cursor and bitmap accelerations. Use this setting ...". The display zooms and pans just as quickly, but it's very slightly less smooth. Not a problem at all. Apparently this setting allows the computer to continue to use hardware acceleration, but can resolve some mouse pointer conflicts.

If this doesn't fix it, ATI suggested to then try unticking the "Enable write combining" box on the same page.

My BIOS is back to AGP 4X, and the fingers are crossed ...

Took a few days, but IronCad 5 locked up again on XP, with dual AMD MP 1900+, Asus A7M766D, and Fire GL2.

Checked the AMD website for drivers again, and there's a new AGP driver posted (miniport_533.EXE) that supposedly fixes a few XP issues. It's now installed, and the video hardware acceleration slidebar is moved back to full.

Cheers, John

Had a lockup yesterday with the nodge 1 back.

Today i installed the miniport 533 from amd, nodge full to the left, lockup again.....

It always happens with panning/orbit/zoom....

(amd 2000 xp+,win xp pro, fire gl2 with ibm drivers for xp)

Hi Wim

I haven't had a lockup for a few days now, with dual AMD 1900+, XP Pro, FireGL2. After installing the miniport533, I also unchecked "Enable write combining" in the display troubleshoot window, and set the configuration profile to SolidWorks.

I hope that helps.

John

Spoke too soon. About six minutes after writing the above post the darned thing froze on me again. It appears to be a problem associated only with AMD / XP / FireGL2 users, and the only thing that ever causes it, as Wim described, is starting a pan view in IronCad.

Guest dlalonde

The FireGL2 is still shown on the ati website (www.ati.com), BUT the reseller that I contacted could not get a price for it. Got prices FireGL4 and the 8000-series Radeon pro cards, but no GL2...