External Linking Question

Cary OConnor

Hi All,

I wanted to ask a few questions about how users use external links. Please reply to this post with any relevant information.

Thanks,

Cary

Questions:

1) Is it a common need to have 3D Curve, Facet Models, 3D Text, or 2D Profiles inserted in External Links. Example: You have a single file that is a 3D Curve or a Part that has 3D Curves for Reference. Next, you insert as link this file into another assembly. Is there a need to have the shapes listed above inserted with the solid or surface part?

2) Are 3D Curves and 2D Shapes primarily reference material?

3) Would it be an issue to set options on these shapes to determine if they are construction or real parts. Real Parts would come through on the insert where as the construction would not.

4) Similar question to number #3 for surfaces. Could surface be considered construction until they become a solid or if you set a flag to make it a real part?

Please let me know.

1) We rarely use external links, now that we can do a config-based BOM.

2) We frequently use 2D shapes to represent actual features and/or parts, but 3D curves are primarily for reference.

3) We could live with an option - especially if we could set it globally & then change it for individual parts.

4) We use surfaces to represent actual parts (mostly tensioned fabric), so it would be better the other way around - set the flag to treat it as construction.

I don't fully understand the questions but I shall try to put in some information as good as possible.

1) Yes I want to have 3D Curve, Text, or 2D Profiles in external links. Especialy 2D drawings like dwg-files that I get from for example architects. And yes, if I have it I want it to be listed in that assembly.

2) I have all my wires, cables and tubes as 3D curves because I have to know the lengt of them and that I cant get from a sweeped solid in IC.

2D shapes I use for showing alternativ placement, parts not in scope of supply, movement centerline. I also use it for puthing in 2D-drawings as background (but that is not working very well right now).

3) First hand real part, second construction ( best would be to set an active option)

4) Same as 3)

/ Marcus