Dropping Onto A Centre Of A Part

David Thomas

is there some clever way to drop a construction plane onto the centre of a part. For example I imported some ACIS, of a simple flange, and I want to replace it with an intellishape, so I go to my spin tool and try to drop the constrution plane onto the centre but it alway snaps on at a funny angle. Holding control down does not help. The same thing happens when I drop my hole bolt circle onto this spun shape , I struggle to attached and align it with the centre of the part, (in the first instance, the remaining procedure is two or three orientations with the Triball.)

...may be too late, but your imported part sounds to me like it is at an angle to the IronCAD WCS. It may save you some time if you use the Triball to orient your imported part to the global coordinate system before you start re-creating the various items... that way all the future items that you drop in from IronCAD won't be "cocky-walked".

David, CTRL will not replace the target part if the dragged object is a Intellishape. It will if the catalog object is a part.

You can drag out your Intellishape to the scene, not hitting any other part. Then select it as a part and drag it back in.

Now you can use CTRL drop, to replace, if that is what you want to do.

Guest svangeldern

David,

I drag a block onto the scene before I try to spin a shape like you describe. After dropping the spin plane on the part I use the faces of the block and "Triball/Axis/perpendicular to face" sequence to orient the plane. After I finish the spin I delete the block.

Steve

PS Mike...Merriam-Webster defines "cocky-walked" as a means to get home from the pub without a designated driver. There was no reference to the IC WCS in their definition.

PS Mike...Merriam-Webster defines "cocky-walked" as a means to get home from the pub without a designated driver. There was no reference to the IC WCS in their definition.

13008[/snapback]

Hahaha! Well, I guess I'll have to have a little talk with my father then for teaching it too me. I assume now you are going to tell me that "dohicky" and "thing-a-ma-bob" aren't technical terms for IronCAD elements either....maybe your dictionary is old?