Modeling Kernel Preference

Shaun Murphy

• 3 weeks later...

I find the poll results pretty amazing. Do users actually pick Acis for some parts/assemblies and Parasolid for others? I think many users assume that there is quite a bit of automatic switching going on and that is why they selected "I use both equally."

The only time I'll switch kernals is if I need to export an SAT file. Parts modeled in Acis should allow a cleaner export to SAT, but other than that, I leave the default kernal as Parasolid. From what I've read, the Parasolid kernal is being updated more frequently than the Acis kernal and now that Dessault owns the Acis kernal, you would have to suspect that slowing down its developement would only help their flagship mid-range product, Solidworks and hurt Autodesk.

Maybe that's why Autodesk is developing their own kernal for Inventor.

Guest dlalonde

I exchange SAT files with toolmakers using Cadkey, Autocad, and various CAM software packages that all use ACIS natively or import SAT files reliably. I exchange Parasolid files successfully with another toolmaker that uses Unigraphics. I work primarily with ACIS kernel, largely out of habit, but switch parts manually to Parasolid when I have trouble with fancy blends and surface edits.

I once had to send an assembly to a Solidworks user....SW choked on the parasolid assembly but accepted the ACIS assy quite well....don't know why.

FYI - ptc is offering ProDesktop Express free (can anything from ptc really be free?) which is good because it opens ProE files and can export them as STEP.

Guest EricFoy

I, too, interact with customers on both sides of the kernel fence.

I also switch kernels every now and then when the geometry gets too weird for the one I'm using.

Also, I have found that regens of complex parts are two- to ten- times faster in Parasolid than in ACIS. Has anyone else noticed this?

-Eric

• 2 months later...

We model in parasolid because its truly more robust than Acis. We like the option though because, we can talior fit our design depending on our clients programs.

In General, if we had to choose between them. Its definitely Parasolid for robustness and the ability to share with CAM products more readily.

Tom

• 3 months later...