Resolution For Embedded Objects?

Marcus Bertilsson

Is it possible to set a better resolution for embedded objects?

I have inserted a pdf object and it looks terrible in IronCAD, wery low resolution I think. The same object opened in adobe reader looks much much better even when you zoom in.

In the properties/rendering you see fields for resolution but they are greyed out, is it possible to change this fields in any way?

Also "make background transparent" is greyed out, How can I set that?

Is there better support for any other formats that pdf, if so what?

Is there better methods than just "insert object" and select the file wanted maybe?

/ Marcus

post-20412-1138609814_thumb.jpg

We have been using Macromedia Freehand for many years to create illustrations that can be imported into CAD. (Adobe Illustrator doesn't work for this purpose - the images always come in as low-resolution, the same as you get from PDF.) Since this is virtually our only use for Freehand, we haven't upgraded since version 9.

Our process is to use Create->Object in IronCAD, select "Create New" and select Macromedia Freehand from the list. Freehand opens a blank file, so open your desired file, select all & copy, close the file & paste into the blank file. Then, from the Freehand File menu, select "Exit & Return to Sheet 1" (or whatever IronCAD sheet you are on.)

This method allows us to import high-resolution PDF files into IronCAD.

The only trouble is that IronCAD always brings in a square image, so you must pay attention to the image proportions in Freehand.

Where the Freehand image has no fill, the background will be transparent in IronCAD. Where the Freehand image is filled with white or any other color, the background will be opaque in IronCAD.

Anyone else having ideas how to handle embedded objects in a good way?

This is very important for me to solve.

I'm begining to run out of ideas how to have things as background in scale. I have tried to import a dwg with no luck and I thougt this may be the way!?

Any better formats than pdf? like tiff, jpeg, bmp?

/ Marcus

Hi Cary!

Tanks that works.

At least for image files like tif and jpg.

What is the problem with insert object, why doesen't that work?

Isn't that for inserting things like this?

Why I ask is because that seems like the obvious choise for a beginner.

And that supports pdf:s as well, that is realy good because almost every drawing we get is as pdf and if we can import it directly we have saved us a lot of time and frustration to try to convert it to image.

Anyone knowing about a good and easy pdf => image converter for free?

/ Marcus

Well OLE Embedding is always a lot of fun on the R&D side, since we have to play ball with all of Microsoft's issues as well with this. I'm not really sure on the reason to the quality, but we can keep it on R&D's radar to see if we can adjust or set the quality and aspect on import.

Cary