Avoid Section Tool!

tlehnhaeuser

No sure if this is a tip or not but I wanted to share our experiences with the section tool.

I post this becuase it has happen on several occasions and severlal users and wanted to share our discovery.

It appears that if you have a large amount of external links on a large assembly file (the estimated guess is about 75+ is when the section tool starts to snear) and start using the section tool, this tends to lead to major crashing and loss of data. Even if the section tool is suppressed its still as destructive. If you manage to regain the lost data and start deleting the section tools it does not appear to help.

It is my opinion, that ALL USERS SHOULD AVOID THE SECTION TOOL even if you have one unlinked part in a scene. It is not worth the risk for a quick section. I recommend using the Assembly Feature tool instead. It is stable, accurate and actually have more options associated with it.

So for me, I have eliminated the Section tool from my program ( sort to speak).

Hope this helps

Tom

I'm still using the the section tool quite a lot and have the feeling that it has gotten a lot less trouble-causing over time. But I still tend to delete cross-file sections before saving complex files.

The idea to use the assembly feature instead is interesting. I will definitely try it out.

Beat

• 3 weeks later...

I exported some iges the other day and it exported all my 900 section tools as surfaces !!!??? . That was really helpful.

I could't really suppress them in the original model , so I had to import this iges into Ironcad delete these 'section surfaces' and then re export the model.

blink.gif