WindowsXP - Anyone using it?

Chris Lohman

My vote for a Mac or Linux version of IronCAD.

Then maybe then we wont have to put up with Mr. Gates dialog boxes covering the screen just when we don't want them to. Now it's like driving down the road and suddenly somebody holds a map in front of your face. icon_Smile_dissapprove.gif

Geoffrey

More like having a GPS system in your car.

Yes, OS X is veeery lush looking - all graphics are pdf based.

The new Imac is a blast but if we're talking Cad here we should be thinking about the dual G4 desktop systems.

Not too much software available? Huh

Apples website lists over 20,000 titles, that's right - 20,000 plus

3616 of them written to take advantage of OS X. All others can be run inside an OS 9.xx window. You should be able to find what you're looking for without too much trouble.

Rick,

In my previous email I should have finished my last sentence better than I did. My complaint was about the Windows dialog boxes covering the computer screen just when you don't want them to. Like being momentarily blinded when you are driving a car.

Like the example above, it seems that the Windows interface imposes limitations for CAD programmers and users alike. And it was wishful thinking that maybe a Linux or Mac version of IronCAD would have less of these problems.

And if there was a Mac version of IronCAD I would dump this Winbox in a minute!

Geoffrey

Hey pnobel you can turn all of that new UI off in Windows XP. That's the very first thing I did.

The start menu can be reset by right clicking on the task bar, goto Properties, hit the Start Menu tab, then check the Classic Start Menu

The goofy windows are just a theme. Right click on the desktop, goto Properties, select the Appearance tab, pull down the "Windows and Buttons" select list and choose Windows Classic style.

One of My Clients using XP could not get IonCAD to function at all. He called Microsoft and they fixed the problem. Here are the steps (don't shoot me if I don't get it completely right). Click START button - Go to HELP - I think last on list is either Tech Support or Updating Applications menu - Follow wizard to emulate Windows 2000. He said it work like a charm. I am waiting for a more detailed procedure. I thought that this would be enought for more computer savy users.