Looking For Autocad Cooperation Suggestions

Guest bbraho

Does anyone have suggestions for how best to use IC togther with other users on autocad? I am a designer of machinery (no fancy surfaces) in an office (and industry) dominated by 2D autocad. Export of IC drawings to dwg seems only to work on a rudimentary level. (not unlike other 2D converters to dwg i have seen) Translating finished drawings for other to use doesn't seem to be an option.

Is designing in IC and then creating drawing w/ bare views for import and completion in autocad the pratical solution? Other draftsman will be creating manufacturing drawings (details) from my design. Contracts specify DWG record copies. Converting the world to IC is not a practical solution. (be happy ive refused the license of SW offered to me)

Specific problems to be overcome:

typical autocad use of layers and styles must be adhered to

drawings always drawn full scale (scaled views are not accepted)

dimensions convert very poorly

precise views seem to frequenly have errors vs. correct draft views

Now you have made me wory!

Is it realy that bad?

Our clients always ask for dwg as "final" documentation.

If it is as bad as you say, does IC take action to make it better?

This is a realy important task, at least 75% of our business use dwg as the main format for documentation and that is in both for what we send and what we get. The other 25% is pdf, tif etc.

/ Marcus

Is it realy that bad?

----

yes, no, and thats part of the question...

The drawings look ok if you export fast (not precise) and not-exploded.

But the more you want to use the drawings, the more compatibility problems become apparent.

Notably, for example, dimensions are much better if you export non-exploded and then explode in autocad. But exporting exploded looks really bad. Also for example, the multiplicty of duplicate dimension and text styles looks ok on screen, but makes a mountain out of a molehill when trying to cleanup the otherwise minor problems.

Best case would be someone has alrady been through all of this in detail and has a detailed solution. (3 steps forward, and 1 step to the right with your left hand at 45%%d).

Typically my IronCad drawings are in a scale, for example 1:10. When I export to AutoCad.dwg I want to provide them 1:1 useable drawings. That is where IC export of dwg is a bit weak.

I usually will export to Acad 14, non exploded, zero width lines and check ignor view scale so it exports 1:1 scale into Autocad. The problem with this is when you open the Acad file the views are piled on top of each other and you have house clean by re-arranging views and scaling up the drawing border. The other way would be to export it in the 1:10 scale and then scale it up in Autocad. The dimension fonts stay small when you scale up views 1:1.

When I need to provide files for laser cutting or turret punching metal I export unfolded metal view by itself on a sheet, 1:1 in true precise mode.

Anyways thats what I do. I too would like to hear how others export to dwg's so I can do it better.

Some tips in this important issue:

-In AutoCAD there is a variable called DIMLFAC

You can change that from inside AutoCAD. Type it at the prompt.

-In AutoCAD there is a property-painter thats is really helpful.

-You can create your own .ICD templates with customized layers, styles and colors to fit you target AutoCAD system.

AutoCAD and its different applications is very dependant on the layerstucture in the DWGs.