3DS export problem

Mike Crossmire

I'm still having problems with exporting parts with blended edges to 3DS format. What usually happens is that the blend edges don't match up/weld properly with the nearby faces.

The last I heard, this was an ACIS bug (it's been happening for the past few IC versions), but at least inside IronCAD, blended edges always render perfectly. Does IronCAD use an ACIS function to export to 3DS, or do they use their own? I need to export in 3DS because our other tools are in MAX 4.2, and 3DS format is the only one which exports the bitmaps and UVs properly.

Thanks.

Mike,

I spoke with our developers on this and they were a bit puzzled by your post. We do not use the kernel when exporting, since it's facet only data, so this shouldn't be happening. (Which means if it is, it's probably a bug that they're not aware of or something that can be worked around.)

I asked if changing the kernel from ACIS to Parasolid could make a difference and was told that there's a chance it would. I was also told that playing with the surface smoothness (facet resolution) could also effect the resulting facet model.

Our developers did state that if you were to send us the scene file and the 3ds file displaying the problem that they would be happy to investigate and pinpoint the solution. We're always willing to sign non-disclosure agreements if necessary.

Chris Lohman

IronCAD

I think I've partially solved the mystery. It looks as if the way UV coordinates are set up on the original IronCAD part affect the way MAX tries to resolve things when it imports. I can make the vertices on the blend match properly just by making sure that the blends and the nearby faces all share the same mapping projection. Now, the UV's should actually have no impact on the vertices, but somehow that or the way smooth groups are assigned affects the tesselation in MAX.

I will send you the test scene so your development guys can experiment with it further.