IronCAD Crashing - A tale of Norton

Chris Lohman

I just recieved this from a customer regarding how he was able to stabilize IronCAD on WindowsME. I thought it might be helpful to someone else.

===snip====

I followed your instructions and removing all instances of IronCad 1.4 corrected most of the anomilaies I was experiencing with IronCad 4.2

This is why you havent heard from me.

I thought I had turned off Norton Antivirus in the system startup section of Window's ME because I disabled everything that looked or smelled of Norton.

After doing so I reloaded IronCad and it still crashed. I discovered that Norton was still running in the background and had screwed up the installation.

I then went to add/remove programs in the Control Panel and removed all of Norton from my system.

I then reloaded IronCad 4.2. The bulk of the system failures were alleviated but occassionally I would crash with a MFC42.DLL error.

I ran scan disk and found that the system boot sector on the hard drive was changing causing scan disk to continually restart.

I went back and looked at the startup programs and found that Norton doesnt completely uninstall because it installs in pieces.

I uninstalled the remaining pieces of the program.

I ran IronCad for several days and still experienced occassional crashes and IronCad not responding.

I ran scan disk again and it reported a corrupt boot sector on my hard drive.

I selected automatically fix errors in scan disk and ran it again.

I now believe that unfortunately Norton Antivirus was the source of most of my problems.

No more problems with IronCad crashing so far.

Guest amontecino

I use NAV and SystemWorks and have had NO problems with any version of IronCad.

I did turn off NAV during installation of IronCad5 but uninstalling is not necessary.

I you are unsure whether NAV is running do a Ctrl-Alt-Del and end any Norton tasks running.

Best regards,

Allen

• 4 years later...
Guest EricFoy

My experience has been that the Symmantec anti-virus and the rest of their "let-me-take-complete-control-of-your-system" products cause more trouble than they're worth! When I buy a new system, the first thing I do is uninstall all the Symmantec stuff. I then have a much faster, more stable platform.

For anti-virus, I use AVG-FREE. It works, and it's, well, FREE.

-Eric

...only for private use, though. But it IS one of the sleeker and more efficient protection packages (AVG, not NAV).

Beat