Title Block

Rick Dorrington

Rick, I have no idea what you're talking about. Since you've started a new topic, could you explain what the "title block thing" is? Or give a reference to the respective topic/message, if you have described it previously?

Beat

The IntelligentTB.vbp project is a visual basic sample of how to implement an intelligent title block for IronCAD drawings. It's a free addon on the CD under \IroncadInovate\program files\InnovationSuite\AddOns\TitleBlock

You can launch the VBA editor from a drawing by pressing [alt+F11]

First, apologies to B. Ludin. This discussion goes back to the days of the old board. It seems to crop up from time to time.

Secondly, thanks to Chris for jumping in to explain.

In our environment we must deal with a constant stream of electonic data. This data comes in from the outside world and intermingles with data that we produce in-house. (Design/Manufacture/Design & Manufacture) Working in an ISO 9000 environment (And the soon to be famous ISO9000/2000) requires a pretty good handle on the whereabouts and condition/status of this data. Hence we spawn TeamVault and other products like it for EDM/PDM (Electonic Data Management/Product Data Management) or whatever the TLA (Three Letter Acronym) of the day is.

So - Having a system whereby all parties involved in data management/creation which allows for standardiziation across the organization, is easy to use, and discourages users from adding their own individual touches becomes an important issue. (I've always done it this way -or I can't find my file because I named it something and I don't know where it went)

Now back to the title block thing. This sample VBA project allows a user to enter data into predefined fields (similiar to a database) that popup in a window when you select the tool from the toolbar. When you're happy with the data you entered you then hit the update button and the data magically appears in your title block, as well as in your Properties Dialogue Box under the File Menu. (Of course, to make it work you have to eat fire while simultaneously standing on one leg while 3 co-workers beat you senseless with pool noodles.)

This sample supplied by IC is pretty basic. We are taking the opportunity while upgrading to V5.0 to implement the Intelligent Title Block.

Chris, yes you can get into the VBA editor with [alt-F11] except that as stated on page 1-23 (paragraph 2) of the manual;

"VBA is currently available for scenes only."

Invoking the VBA editor when in the drawing environment leaves you looking at pretty much nothing. So now begs the question,

Why provide a sample to show how to use an intelligent title block if you can not then customize the sample to your individual needs?

Rick Dorrington

aero-safe technologies inc.

Oh yeah, hehe, forgot about that. OH comon, you're going to let something like that stop ya? wink.gif

So I spoke with the higher powers here. They tell me that their intent was to provide a VB example for someone that has Microsoft VB installed in addition to IronCAD.

I of course submitted an enhancement request for VBA to work in the drawing.

(Of course, to make it work you have to eat fire while simultaneously standing on one leg while 3 co-workers beat you senseless with pool noodles.)

I'm going to start recommending that fix more often lol. I had to think for a few minutes on what a pool noodle could possibly be.

Ahh, the truth shall set you free. All this time your readers were led to believe that there was a way to have an intelligent title block - something beyond the sample provided. Further, that this was possible to do within IronCad with just a little pain. ( Noodle bruises)

Should we run out and buy VB or will it be possible to do some of this stuff soon enough in IronCad that we should just wait?

Rick Dorrington

• 4 months later...

We installed VB6 on our machines and proceeded to load the title block project into it.

After being covered with bruises and singeing my eyebrows from all the fire eating, we discover that low and behold we must have the wrong type of pool noodles!, mad.gif as various warnings pop up and persuade us that the title block was written in some ancient hieroglyphics (Not VB6)

It must be an early version of VB as It will not convert to VB6, or was I standing on the wrong foot, is there something else I should do, maybe chant some tibetan prayer.huh.gif

So, oh wonderous Iron dudes can you tell me what version of VB I require or even better could you just make it active in the drawing environment.tongue.gif

Adrian Rideout Programmer

We are able to edit and work with this code in VB6 here so we'd need to see some errors that you are receiving. Are you working with the titleblock automation that is on the 5.0 CD or did you download it or pull it from an older version. (Might you have an old version of the titleblock project?)

Well! Low n behold it looks like we are using VB5 not VB6 blush.gif This may be the problem. There I am going off half cocked. Anyway are there plans to activate VB in the drawing environment so we don't have to go and get VB6 or do we have to shell out some bucks to our friend Mr Gates.

Adrian Rideout Programmer

Finally an answer. Thank You. Just out of curiosity, what sort of time frame does "near term" mean in Georgia? I've found in the past that most people have very different perceptions of time, especially when described in an abstract fashion.

Confucius:

Man with one watch knows the time - Man with two watches not quite sure.

(He didn't have an internet time server)

Near term means it's actually scheduled to make it into a specific release. So while we will likely implement vba in 2d at some point in time, there are no plans set forth for when.

In other words: Go purchase VB if you want automation in IronCAD 2D.

I couldn't find out what the deal is with not having it in 2D: I don't understand the absence either.