Linkage Constraint Porblems

Mike Twining

Hey yall-

I am trying to set up a 4-bar linkage such that I can move one arm and have the other 2 (1 is fixed) move with it. I am having problems getting IronCAD to stop unlocking locked constraints. Attached is an example of what I am trying to do (I want to rotate the "Upper" bar and have the "Lower" and "linkage" bars move with it, without moving the "vertical" bar). Unfortunately, the linkage is not a parallelagram so the two horizontal pieces won't move the same (hence, no mirrored assembly trick). I have officially run out of ideas on getting this thing working. Any help at all would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Mike T

4_Linkage.ics

This new module for V8 is slick..

I hope IC plans on including a way to know the motion limits or interference locations...

I hope we will still be able to apply a smart dim to a link and get its max and min angle outputs...or use any of the existing smart dims to get measurements throughout the manipulations..

Will IC automatically stop the motion at each limit?, or where an interference will occur?

(/begin lighting fire)

... that OTHER CAD company has had colission detection since v. 2000

(/fire off)

At least Cary left it ambiguous enough to think that it will happen in a future release.

So... what kind of timeframe are we looking at for 8-beta to come out... weeks, month, month(s), .... year? Now that we have complained about everything there is to complain about in 7, I am getting anxious.

MikeT.

Yes it is planned as a roadmap to have the collision detection.

As for the Other CAD system....don't get me going there......There are many things we have had since 1995 that they still don't have (like the TriBall, Single Scene Environment, etc...). Don't even say those funky things like the Triad are even close.... biggrin.gif

Feature wars are not the answer to a system that is productive for your specific application. We want to make sure that we put the item in the meet the needs of our customers in our target market. Just having a feature may not make it productive for IronCAD's Customers. (Collision Detection is important so don't read this post wrong.)

Fire Out

Cary rolleyes.gif

I knew that would get you all fired up smile.gif

....by the way, you forgot to mention the absence of parent-child relationships, top rate tech-support (that one is for you big-daddy), catalogs, non-history based modeling, kernel collaboration, and a superb 2d drawing enviornment.

Mike T

P.S. Ok, I lied about the 2d, but I was on a roll.

HA!!... FIRE OUT !!!!

Put the fire out... too bad I have to start it EVERY day... got a powerful workstation so I can run IC to do all the really tedious work ... then import and run the analysis in WildFire...

Man.. I need to hurry up and get Algor... but... better be careful... why would they need me if I stop using their system???.. HA!...

This new module is one more step to win people over... a little at a time...

Got the company Pro EXPERT on board !!