Linking Across Levels

B. Ludin

I just wondered: Why can't we have internally link parts which reside on different hierarchy (assembly) levels? It does work with externally linked parts, so I can't see why it shouldn't work with internally linked ones, too.

Beat

When it is externally linked, there is a single file that can be represented and found in the code structure. It is not allowed in internally linked files since it would require some sort of search mechanism to go up and down the structure to find the files. This would kill performance and would be difficult to know when to trigger the search. Think if you had a large assemble with a very complex assembly structure (sub assemblies upon subassemblies). It could exponentially add up in time to find the links at different levels when the parent file is not as obvious as an external file.

Cary

OK, conceptually, this would be easy to overcome, simply be having templates (symbols, master parts, whatever you like to call them) which all linked instances refer to (kind of like saving the externally linked file internally). But from your comment I conclude that this paradigm is not (yet) implemented in IC, although your usage of the term "parent file" would point in that direction.

Cheers, Beat