Cylindrical Hole

David Thomas

ok , imagine two simple blocks in a scene, one is sat ontop of the other. The bottom one has a Ø8 mm hole in it, such that its pointing vertically upwards towards the other block.

I use the H Cylinder tool to cut away a new hole in the top block. (so then I could use a bolt to bolt together the two blocks). I use the triball the orientate the H Cylinder, aligned with the existing hole , ok. I then click on the sizebox handle of the H Cylinder to match the size of the existing cylinder, and I click, TO POINT, and pick the existing edge of the hole in the bottom block.

But what happens, not a matching of the existing hole, what is meant to happen? It caught me out , because it goes very close, to the existing hole size, ie. it will create a cylinder of 7.97865 mm , not the 8 mm as desired.

The handles snap to points in the direction the handle is moving. So the result you describe is correct unless you hit the exact point on the circle that the handle is moving (For example a quadrant point that is aligned to the quadrant handles of the circle handle that is moving). This behavior exists even on other shapes: For instance-pull a handle and snap to a face that is angled. It will snap to where the cursor is and not the actual point the handle intersects.

There are ways to help your case. One way is to use the Assembly Feature tool. Drop a Custom hole via right click and drop onto the block. You can create a hole that cuts both shapes. You can position the single shape to the desired location. Remember to convert the assembly feature to a part feature when you are complete so that it will appear in both parts in the drawing of the individual parts. Another is to use the two hole method you are using today. On the second hole, edit the profile. Delete the profile and project the first hole profile. This will align and size the hole in one shot.

Cary