Proe / Granite

don_temple

I've had some inquiries about IronCad's ability to import and export ProE parts and assemblies. Is anyone doing this with any regularity? If so, how's it working?

The major questions are whether the models will maintain any feature information or if they will become "dumb" solids when being translated into IC or out to ProE. Also, can whole assemblies be exported as a .g or .neu file?

If anyone has worked out what to tell customers with respect to this translator I would be very grateful for your input or experiences.

We have done this with some extemely complicated assemblies & it has worked perfectly. We put all the .prt & .asm files in the same place, then imported the main .asm file into IronCAD. I set my kernel to Parasolid before importing the files & it works without a hitch.

You will be limited to face-edge modifications for existing features, but when I used this to move a hole in front of one of our Pro-E users, it blew him away.

We haven't tried .g or .neu files, so I don't have any advice for you.

Good luck!

When exporting from Pro out to IC everything works perfectly in most cases in any format.

When exporting from IC to Pro.. from my experience

Step works best... really slick with assemblies... some cases where Pro makes a surface model for some components (see iges explanation)... Pro still only sees as an import feature... for individual parts almost flawless in recreating the solid.

Iges... Pro format works well.. depending on the geometry you may still run into incomplete surfaces and with assemblies...where things come into contact Pro may not know what to do so it puts a surface... in any case you may have a surface model for some components... can also run into same situation depending on geometry complexity for individual parts...

Iges... solid and trimmed surfaces option works well... strangely for sending files into Wild Fire.... Pro sees it as an imported feature

.g... I have had alot of mixed results across older Pro and Wild Fire platforms... again depending on geometry... the end result is typically a model that is a surface... Pro has trouble zipping gaps... etc... Pro sees as an import feature.

.neu... much of the same problems as .g

There are just soo many options available... you mainly have to watch where surfaces come into contact and depending on the geometry Pro can have trouble with rounds... In nearly all cases Step is always my first choice.. and has the highest success rate...

To my surprise lately on several occasions ... really troublesome , and complex geometry was solved with CATIA export option in IC.. none of the other options worked!... Pro and Wild Fire brought in a massive finned engine head casting design without a hitch!!... amazed!!... haven't tried with an assembly... but this format will move to the top of my list. when exporting to Pro.

No matter what format export you use if you have problems, its always easier and faster to fix what seems to be the problem area that Pro is experiencing in IC and simply re-export the file...

Yes... changing kernels can really help IC with importing formats!

Edited by mmccall