Ctrl Copy And Paste On Parts

mgajewski

It can be based on a couple different things.

1. If you copy parts under an assembly then paste at a different level in the structure, then the parts will position in a different location (it remember the location based on its parents location).

2. If the parts are part of a mirror transformation, the paste may not hold the mirror transformation in an assembly structure (Not sure, but I would need to test).

Like others stated, the preferred method is the Triball or the catalog drag and drop.

Thanks,

Cary

It can be based on a couple different things.

1. If you copy parts under an assembly then paste at a different level in the structure, then the parts will position in a different location (it remember the location based on its parents location).

Now that makes perfect sense to me, Cary. Is there a way to make sure that the copy is being pasted at the same level in the structure? (I guess I am still trying to find out how to make the fastest and easiest method work).

If there is not I'll revert to the other solutions contributed by you and others. Thanks.

Mark

Guest Ramzi Asfour

Personally, I prefer the copy/paste method for it's speed and use the triball when required. As Cary mentioned, how the pasted part gets positioned depends on where you copied it from.

If the desired part is part of an assembly, it's position is recorded relative to the coordinate system of the assembly (local assy xyz). When the part is pasted back into the scene, the part will be positioned in the same relative location but with respect to the global coordinate system (xyz of the scene file). The pasted part will not be part of the original assembly. If you use the triball to copy and relocate, the copied part will remain as part of the assembly.

Most of the time, I copy parts to use in different assemblies. Parts cannot be linked across different assemblies and I usually need to relocate the part from the original position anyway. So I use the copy/past to quickly duplicate a part, locate it to the desired new position, and insert it into a new assembly. If I need to copy parts within an assembly (e.g. screws into hole partterns), the triball is much easier and faster to use than the copy/paste method.

The copy/paste method is useful in another way: copying and pasting parts from/to different scene files. You can copy a part from one scene file and paste it into another file without having to export and then import (save-as-part then insert) the part. Obviously, the original and pasted parts will not be linked.

RA

Copy/Paste is good but there is a better way.

One of our old systems had a command called "duplicate". Essentially it did the copy/paste in one keystroke (Command-D...Mac thing).

8476[/snapback]

Yes, coomands for generating a copy or a linked copy would be very handy. (I think this has been proposed previously). This would be complementing triball-based copying and many respects.

Beat