Importing Ideas Models

Doug Pidgen

I can not successfully import an IDEAS model in the .stp format into IC.

It appears to import, but the smart dimension do not work. Can not measure the part.

In a previous posting I mentioned a very simular problem with the importing of IGES model from IDEAS.

http://www.ironcad.com/support/community/i...ic=1607&hl=iges

We were able to get around the problem by importing the .stp file into Rhino, exporting from Rhino as IronCad IGES.

Importing the IC IGES as acis into IC, perform the Heal function and then changing to the Parasolid kernel.

At this point we acheived a good solid with true radius and holes.

Before PU1 we were able to get a good model by switch from the acis to parasolid kernel. This is no longer the case. Without the aid of Rhino we can not successfully

import this file.

Why is Rhino able to export a good IGES solid in an IronCad format, but IC is unable to import the same file???????

Please help,

Doug.

P.S. I was not able to attached the file, so I uploaded it (Plate.stp) to IC's FTP site.

Edited by Doug Pidgen

Guest IronKevin

Doug,

I have been able to add Linear SmartDimensions to your Plate part but not Radial/Diameter.

This is due to the fact that this file contains spline edges for all circles and arcs. This is common of most the older solid modeling systems. I'm not sure if they have an export opetion to change this but we don't have a way to convert the splines back to arcs and circles.

The part file I created in 7.0.1.= is under ftp://ftp.ironcad.com/download

"SmartDims-on-IDEAS.ics"

IK

I have been able to add Linear SmartDimensions to your Plate part but not Radial/Diameter.

8151[/snapback]

The Linear SmartDimension doesn't work from face to face, either from end to end or top to bottom. Only from point to point.

This shouldn't have anything to do with the spline edges, does it?

This is due to the fact that this file contains spline edges for all circles and arcs.  This is common of most the older solid modeling systems.  I'm not sure if they have an export opetion to change this but we don't have a way to convert the splines back to arcs and circles.

8151[/snapback]

Before PU1, changing the part from parasolid to acis and then back to parasolid would convert these

"spline edges for the arcs and circles" to radii and diameters.

Why has this changed with PU1.?

Guest John Wright

Kevin

'This is due to the fact that this file contains spline edges for all circles and arcs. This is common of most the older solid modeling systems. I'm not sure if they have an export opetion to change this but we don't have a way to convert the splines back to arcs and circles'

From my experience the only 'old' system to use weird geometry on plane shapes is CATIA as they seem to use a different method of mapping curves to everyone else. Most older systems used rational geometry wherever possibel - especially exporting to IGES

John

Guest John Wright
HP SolidDesigner had a habit of doing this in the past. 

IK

8177[/snapback]

Maybe HP - but none of the others if my memory serves me right