One Step Reordering In Scene Browser

tlehnhaeuser

As you may know, the way parts are listed in your Bill of Materials Table is dictated by the way they are listed in the Scene Browser. Many users have said to me that this is labor intensive in getting the correct order in which to get parts listed in the BOM. They drag each part in the SB to the desired location and if its a large assembly this could take all day.

WELL.... I explain to them, heres what you do...

Typically we just design as we go and don't even worry about the order. When were done (or at least think were done) to the design then simply do this...

While holding done the CTRL key, pick the parts/assemblies in the SB in the order you wish to have them listed in the BOM from top to bottom. Once you have selected them. Hit ASSEMBLE and then DISASSEMBLE. This will relist the parts/assys in the order you selected them correctly in the SB. Wallah, all straightened out.

Its up to you, if you wish to wait til the end or do periodically during the design process. You can do it at any time.

Enjoy.

Tom

See Pix.

ReorderSB.gif

Edited by tlehnhaeuser

That's a good one Tom. I use the same trick when I want to move a bunch of linked parts such as screws etc. from one assembly to another. Just pick the linked parts and assemble them. Then move them to another assembly and disassemble them and there you go. No broken links.

Mike

Great tip, Tom. Would you happen to know is similar trick for batch reordering of shapes within a part? (I guess, switching off auto-regen might work, but it's a bit tedious having to go to the options dialog each time to toggle the setting.)

Beat

This will be very helpful but I still wish the items could be listed in an order not related to the scene browser. This is especially relevant when you want all your fasteners listed last but they are part of sub assemblies that appear higher in the feature tree.

There are a couple of ways the BOM could be improved in this area;

A. A check box for "Order the BOM based on the Part Number attribute"

B. The ability to drag and drop BOM items in the BOM window to set the order, Move Up or Move Down buttons would also be acceptable. Maybe this could be accomplished with a mapping table in the background, something like this:

See attached image

bom_sample.gif

Edited by don_temple