Auto Save Or Backup File Please!

bbuche

Just lost 2 hours of work due to an internal application error while printing a page. I know you all are going to say didn't you save before you tried to print but it would be great if we had somewhere to back-up from.

thanks

Brian

Guest jkim522093

I've read this issue thoroughly because it is very important one.

There are several causes to sudden crash of the application; application error

itself, OS issue, Hardware issue, users' error and others.

But most important thing for the designers is to have some sort of security

of their works from any kind of system crash.

We all know that it is not possible to have perfect security to bring us back to

the time just before the crash.

But, as all the other competitors offers, we should have feature to have our

works back even though it is not the exactly one we lost at system crash.

And this feature should be a basic and essential one of the serious CAD software

like IronCAD, not a plug-in or utility with fee.

Whether the cause of the crash is IronCAD or not, if designer lost all the data

he has been working for some hours, then he blames something causes the crash.

But he also blames IronCAD for the lack of the back-up file because there is

nothing left in IronCAD while other CAD application get back to some point before

to system crash with their back-up.

Mightbe this kind of feature could affect the application performance negatively

due to it will surely need the system resources.

But I think there must be some effective way to minimize this side effect, and

also it will be OK if the end-user can enable/disable this auto back-up feature.

Anyway, I need the back-up feature desperately because I really don't want

my customers to lose their valuable data again.

Guest cdeveaux

We used to use a CAD program called Cimatron. It used a somewhat different scheme; AFTER a small operations, or DURING a large one, it wrote to what was called a "Work Area", basically a series of files it used as temporary storage. They were not directly open - able, but if the user had a crash, everything up to the last command could be "restored from work area". This might have performance issues; in Cimatron we only designed in wireframe. But since IronCAD is always making temp files anyway, could they not be used in the same manner?

IronCAD must be using a similar scheme - at least to the point of saving small temporary files. The ../Local Settings/Temp directory on the C: drive has many such files that are written by IronCAD & deleted when IronCAD closes (and stay behind when IronCAD crashes.)

Any plans in development to use these for file recovery?

Perhaps a 'command line' text file of all non-camera scene changes since the last 'full save'. Kind of one of the beautiful things of AutoCAD and COSMOS was the ability to generate large models off of several lines of code...Not that IC has a command line, but there must be a way of storing the commands alone, without saving the actual computational changes to the scene...So in case of a crash, that is not 'operator error' then the whole command line file can be re-run automatically without user intervention, or the last command(s) can be removed and automatically run to a stable model where the CAD operator can hopefully continue on the path to enlightenment.

• 13 years later...

I'm using IC 2018... Is there a Backup file option?

As a long term AutoCAd user I was able to 'autosave' every 15 minutes. It saves an extra .bak file

That is what I thought IronCAD was doing till I investigated this.

I have just realised that in Options/General/File Save & Open... There is only an option for a 'reminder'. Not an actual save.

To the developers...I vote for a .bak system (unless I have missed something). Any autosave where a file can be recovered in a crash would be good.

Edited by ITAYLOR