File Size

mgajewski

I have a simple file with a five or six simple parts with uncomplicated cylindrical and revolved shapes. The file size was an incredible 13MB. I tried using Save As to compress it but instead it grew to 21MB. So I then tried the Save command and it grew to 40MB!

I have suspected something strange going on because my previous files were much larger than their complexity would warrant but the one I describe above really takes the cake. I have version 7 with PU1.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Mark

1) Assemble everything in the scene into one assembly

2) Select the top level assembly

3) Pull down the assembly menu and choose "Save As Parts/Assembly"

4) Save it out and do not link

5) What is the size of the resulting file? If bigger, then we will need to investigate your file.

1) Assemble everything in the scene into one assembly

2) Select the top level assembly

3) Pull down the assembly menu and choose "Save As Parts/Assembly"

4) Save it out and do not link

5) What is the size of the resulting file?  If bigger, then we will need to investigate your file.

7853[/snapback]

The file size grew slightly. I can email you the original "growing" file so you can do the Save As and Save and see it grow.

It seems to me it's not an isolated problem. I have always had file sizes behave oddly. I would delete some complex shape parts and save a file with very simple parts left and the saved file would be larger than the original one that had more parts and more complex ones.

Also - the work around that you suggested, even if it worked, would be cumbersome. I do a lot of IronCAD work and if I had to do this every time it would be too time consuming.

Is it possible that IronCAD does not purge the old stuff when it gets deleted or simplified?

Thanks.

Mark

A Save As is supposed to purge the file, so what you are experiencing is unusual. When you perform a regular "Save", there -is- data left in the file that is unusued. But the file should not grow exponentionally upon each save.

If you will upload the file to our ftp site (ftp.ironcad.com) and then email the filename to support@ironcad.com (do not post it here); then we will check it out and get back to you.