Help With Drawing Notes

Mike Twining

Just curious of how all you guys out there in IronLand handle your drawing notes...

Right now I am just using a standard text box (1 box for the item numbers, 1 box for the actual notes) so that everything will line up. The problems I have with that method is that text boxes align text (vertically) in the center, so every time the note gets longer, I have to re-adjust the location of the box. It is also difficult to get the numbers to lign up with the notes.... anyway, I am looking for a better way to do things.

Tried using a BOM template with all the borders turnded off, but you can't get rid of the external BOM border, so that is no good...

So... who has the best (read easiest) way of managing drawing notes? The winner gets the honored distinction of being blatently copied without any recognition what-so-ever.

MikeT

One method is to link in an excel spreadsheet through the OLE server. The spreadsheet will display in the drawing, but you can edit it outside of the drawing if desired; and you get the table look.

Create/Object/From Files/workbook.xls

You could also just put all of your notes in a single text box with line returns in it.

You could also do a "Create/Object/Word Pad Document" and use the wordpad GUI for creating a note.

One method is to link in an excel spreadsheet through the OLE server.  The spreadsheet will display in the drawing, but you can edit it outside of the drawing if desired; and you get the table look.

Is there any way that I can remove the borderlines? Even with none set, I get a light grey line in between cells.

You could also just put all of your notes in a single text box with line returns in it.

This is what I do right now (well, 1 box for the numbers, 1 for the text).

You could also do a "Create/Object/Word Pad Document" and use the wordpad GUI for creating a note.

I started using Microsoft Word (Word pad will work also)... looks like a good option, however, how can I set it up such that the font displayed in the OLE object is the same size as it would apprear in IC. (How do I lock the display scale of the text document to 1:1 and still allow modification of the information)? I need fonts in the notes to match the fonts on the drawing (in size and type) even when the info within the OLE object changes. It is probably something easy that I can't figure out... smile.gif

MikeT.

On our systems at least, when you insert a word object, it displays the text at a 1:1 scale. If you stretch the sizebox, then it will scale it up or down, but it should always start at 1:1.

Of course, stretching the sizebox seems like a desireable method for showing more or less data from the word object; in this case, instead of stretching the box, you would edit the word object in-place and resize the borders of the object while editing it; in order to show more or less of the document.

As for the excel object, that's just how excel is. Those aren't considered borders by excel since they don't print or export; but since you're working in a table format, you need to see the cells "somehow" smile.gif. If you can figure out how to turn off the grey excel borders using normal Microsoft Excel, then that will also be the method for not displaying them when they are embedded in IronCAD. (Try filling the lines with white or filling the cell region)

Scaling seems to be quite tricky with our embedded Ole objects. I will place an enhancement request for it to be easier to control.