Apple 64 vs Windows 64

Rick Dorrington

Well if Micro$oft says so then it must be true.

I heard that Longhorn is coming soon.

wink.gif

OS X Panther is all about 64 bit, security, open source and more cool stuff than you can shake a stick at.

The next release called "Tiger" due out early '05 says this..

Enhanced 64-bit Support

Tiger ships with 64-bit ready Xcode development tools, so you can take full advantage of the Tigers enhanced 64-bit capabilities right out of the box. Tigers new 64-bit pointers enable individual processes to access massive amounts of virtual memory. The enhanced kernel, plus a 64-bit version of libSystem, let command-line programs, background daemons and network services directly manipulate up to 16 exabytes of virtual memory, more than four billion times the memory addressable by todays 32-bit applications.

All hail Steve Jobs.

Oh yeah I forget to mention that it's all UNIX too. You go girl.

rolleyes.gif

Edited by Rick Dorrington

All hail Steve Jobs.

Peleease!

Imagine I would stroll into my bosses office and mention I fance the sexy new Steve Jobs job for the latest IronCad version. Then I'll have to explain that we need new office software too. Also I have to tell him we need a new system consultant for the operating system. Finally I must mention that this expensive box will be useless, because of compatibility matters, further down the company computer food chain in a couple of years.

And last but not least:

Do you think I'll ever wanna risk answering questions like:

"WHY doesn't this apple-core YOU brought here perform exactly like YOU promised me?"

Well, not in a million years!

Edited by Per-Arne Almeflo

Sorry Chris, I appreciate that you want the topics to stay focused but I must respond to some of this.

Per-Arne

Imagine I would stroll into my bosses office and mention I fance the sexy new Steve Jobs job for the latest IronCad version.

Not only can I imagine it but I am going to do this very thing this morning. We are purchasing a new ERP system and I am proposing that we run it on a Terminal server and use iMac G5's on every desk. I have been testing this for several weeks now and it is utterly amazing.

Then I'll have to explain that we need new office software too..

Yes, we will be putting MS Office on every Mac because we are still on Office 97. The Macintosh version of Office blows the Windows version away.

Also I have to tell him we need a new system consultant for the operating system.

Not true. OS X is a breeze to manage, whether the desktop or server version.

Finally I must mention that this expensive box will be useless, because of compatibility matters, further down the company computer food chain in a couple of years.

Also not true. If you take the time to study the capability of the OS and what an Xserve can do for your company you will see that OS X does Windows better than Windows itself in a lot of cases. Not to mention the benefits of having a full blown UNIX implementation.

And last but not least:

Do you think I'll ever wanna risk answering questions like:

"WHY doesn't this apple-core YOU brought here perform exactly like YOU promised me?"

That's funny. Not only will it perform like we say it will, I expect that I may be elevated to the status of High Guru when our people experience the joys of working on the Apple platform.

Well, not in a million years!

This is where I must agree with you. We are going to start moving towards this today!

Guest Ramzi Asfour

That's funny. Not only will it perform like we say it will, I expect that I may be elevated to the status of High Guru when our people experience the joys of working on the Apple platform.

7798[/snapback]

For all of you who may read this...please don't get the wrong impression of Rick. He's really quite humble in person...

RA

blush.gif

Sorry folks. I feel a bit like a chastized child now.

I have probably been burning the candle at both ends for a bit too long and this project has my head full. Brain starting to hurt.

Frankly, I'm overly caffeinated at the moment.

I do realize that this idea is a bit nutty but hey, live on the edge I say. The good news is that we are indeed moving to the Apple platform for our desktops.

Humbly,

RD

• 3 weeks later...

Just jumping in with an Apple comment.

I tried to go all apple in the OS 9 days. It would have worked if not for the CAD situation. At the same time all the CAD programs were migating to Windows NT so my Apple hopes were completely dashed.

Then, just a little too late, OSX came out with a Unix core. I can't help but wonder what the CAD world would look like today if Apple had embraced Unix just a little sooner.

I wonder if an old version of UG or ProE would run on OSX.

It might.

Grab somebody with a box running OS X. Install the X11 component and go nuts.

I'd be interested to know as well.

Better late than never though. This is where I think the IronFolks could make a statement and possibly own this market segment. Better hurry before Autodesk releases their stuff and pollutes the waters.

IronCad and Apple..Made in heaven.