Ironcad Vs. Ms Outlook

Guest EricFoy

Can anyone help me to get MS Outlook to quit claiming ownership of the .ics filetype? Please don't tell me to uninstall Outlook. I need it as much as I need IC. Suggestions welcome.

Guest IronKevin

I have fought this extension battle hard and it only get's worse with Outlook 2003.

The only way I have found to solve this is to export the Registry keys that control this and have Windows Task Scheduler re-import those registry settings every 30 minutes or so.

So there it is, I'm reluctant to post the details of this process since messing with the registry can be dangerous to your Windows health. Here's a clue, look in the registry under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\IRONCAD.Scene and HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ics

IK

I thought the way to eliminate this was to make sure IronCAD was installed after ALL other windows applications. This may require IronCAD to be reinstalled so as to make it the "Last " program to take ownership.

Give it a shot, what do you have to lose. JUST MAKE SURE YOU BACKUP ANY IRONCAD DATA YOU MAY HAVE IN "IRONCAD-RELATED" DIRECTORIES.

Kevin

1) "Inability to double-click to open an IronCAD files"

I have stopped doubleclicking windows files years ago.

If you do, windows will open that file with the software that windows "think" should open the file. I think you give windows a lot of trust if you do. I always rightmouse/ open with, or drag from explorer and drop in IronCAD to open .ics files.

2) "No .ics thumbnail views in Windows Explorer"= Right.

-Tom, It doesnt help, Office will change it anyway soner or later.

Kevin: Thanks for the hint. Success was quickly achieved.

Tom: Robert's right. Office is actively greedy.

Guys: you missed the most signifigant point...

3) File icons are all replaced by some bogus calendar-looking thingy. Totally annoying.

rolleyes.gif

Kevin

Oh my Gosh! You guys, YOU DON'T HAVE TO LIVE LIKE THIS!

Here's how YOU make Windows open IronCAD with the .ics extension AND have the right icon thingy too:

1. Go to any windows explorer window (assuming were talking windows XP)

2. Click on 'Tools', then 'Folder Options' (at the bottom)

3. A separate window comes up with 3 tabs, click on the 3rd one called 'File Types'

4. You will see a list of EVERY file extension your computer uses.

5. Scroll down until you come to 'ICS'

6. You'll see the MS Outlook icon next to it if you're still in frustrationville

7. Single click it

8. Go below where you see the 'Change...' button

9. You'll come up with a list of applications to choose from. It's thinking, these are the ones I think are close. No worry if IronCAD is not listed. Just hit browse and locate the ironcad.exe file on your computer.

10. Also, check the box 'Always use the selected program to open this kind of file' and you'll be praising the Lord, brother!

Hope this helps!

Don

1) "Inability to double-click to open an IronCAD files"

I have stopped double-clicking windows files years ago.

If you do, windows will open that file with the software that windows "think" should open the file. I think you give windows a lot of trust if you do. I always rightmouse/ open with, or drag from explorer and drop in IronCAD to open .ics files.

Yep, you can also right click on a file, choose "open with", select ironcad.exe and click the "always..." checkbox...and that works for a little while as well.

Outlook always figures out how to take it back though. Kevin's registry thing is the easiest but all of the different methods will work at fixing the .ics extension every time outlook takes over. It's just a matter of determining how much effort you want to make at that level of frequency.

I don't understand why it's such a problem for people though. I never fix my .ics extension. I suppose if you don't turn on your file extensions then you need the icon. If you goto tools/folder options/view and uncheck "hide extensions for known filetypes", then you can see the .ics extension and just "know" that it's for ironcad.

I have never really cared about icons for anything though so...

Thanks Kevin

2) I always wondered why the preview pictures are not to see in the windows explorer!

Chris

I still like to have the right Icon, also if it is absolutely not important.

I had this 3 points and always wondered why it did not work.

As I am your biggest Fan wub.gif it does not matter, but my computer consultant says: oh its IC again.

So the little things are not important but they are.

Anyway I wait for other solutions which are more important to me.

Edited by cborer

OK, somebody here has to face up to the hard task of telling it like it is and it's gonna be ME blush.gif !!!

I don't have the Outlook on my machine! You don't have to use this I-will-open-the -door-to-every-virus piece of worthless junk either! (I said it unsure.gif )

I use Mozilla; there are other e-mail-calendar-etc. packages I'm sure I've never heard of.

-Alex.

Guest EricFoy

Problem is, for some of us, Office is a mandate. When it becomes a performance issue, I'll simply have two machines: one with only IronCAD, and NO OTHER APPLICATIONS.

As for the virus issue, if you're gonna get one, you'll get one - not because a mail app invited it, but because you let your guard down.

That's worth 2 cents, or so...

• 3 weeks later...

OpenOffice has served me well over the past few months and it seems pretty good, especially for the price. I've had no problems with compatability, functionality or stability. Its deffenitly worth a try.

I'm interested to hear other peoples' experience with email and calendar programs other than outlook. The .ics issue is reason enough to change not to mention the system vulnerabilities and the M$ licencing schene as of version 2003. Every time I upgrade my computer I have to call M$ and beg for activation codes.

Is the Mozilla calendar usable yet? Are there others I should consider?

I also would like to use Open Office but frankly it's not ready for prime time. I know that a lot of people are using it successfully but they are usually pretty savvy computer people.

We are re-vamping our entire system and there is no way that I could possibly get 30+ people to use OO. I wish I could because looking at the cost of the licensing that I have to give to Micro$oft is making me ill, especially considering that most people actually use very little of the functionality of the Office Suite. We have tried other solutions but the hassle is aggravating. Most users only know as much as double clicking on the file. If that doesn't work then call the "IT" guy.

I fully support the Open Source movement and we are doing our part by moving a large portion of our system to the Apple platform. Hopefully in the next round of updating the situation will be different.

Guest IronKevin

I first laughed, Apple - Open Source. Little did I know.

Their OS is open source, that alone could be reason to switch. Rick, I think it's starting to get through. Want to start a CAD company smile.gif

IK

I installed the Mozilla calendar (Sunbird) and email (Thunderbird) over the weekend and so far I'm quite pleased. The calendar could be a little nicer but its adequately functional and stable especially for its development stage. I'm happy to use it instead of the Outlook bloatware.

The email client (Thunderbird) and web browser (Firefox) are outstanding. Thunderbird is small and quick with an intelligent (bayesian) spam filter built in. Firefox has some really nice features built in that make it more convenient than Internet Explorer.

Thunderbird imported all my email and the address book from outlook. Sunbird had to import appointments via a CSV file but that wasn't too difficult. The programs install easily and seem to be easy to uninstall although I haven't had the inclintation to do so.

Overall this seems like a viable and affordable step away from M$. If all goes well I will uninstall Outlook in a week or two.

Guest lfeldman

Everything is fine except starting with step 7: Click on Advanced button (Instead of Change button

Step 8 Select New

Step 9 Type in the first box: "Open with"

Step 10 Click on Browse and Find Ironcad.exe which should appear in the second empty box.

Step 11 OK out of the Tools

Now when you Right click on the file, the drop down menu will always present you with "Open with Ironcad" selection in addition to the Calendar selection.

This will keep Outlook happy since nobody steps on their turf.

Here's how YOU make Windows open IronCAD with the .ics extension AND have the right icon thingy too:

1. Go to any windows explorer window (assuming were talking windows XP)

2. Click on 'Tools', then 'Folder Options' (at the bottom)

3. A separate window comes up with 3 tabs, click on the 3rd one called 'File Types'

4. You will see a list of EVERY file extension your computer uses.

5. Scroll down until you come to 'ICS'

6. You'll see the MS Outlook icon next to it if you're still in frustrationville

7. Single click it

8. Go below where you see the 'Change...' button

9. You'll come up with a list of applications to choose from. It's thinking, these are the ones I think are close. No worry if IronCAD is not listed. Just hit browse and locate the ironcad.exe file on your computer.

10. Also, check the box 'Always use the selected program to open this kind of file' and you'll be praising the Lord, brother!

Guest IronKevin

lfeldman,

Are you using Outlook 2003? I'm finding that your steps work fine when older Outlook versions are in place but Outlook 2003 will take back the extension after a short time.

IK