Crashes under Windows 10

Hello All,

I just moved IC 2019 SP1 from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and I am now getting some serious problems.

My new system:

Rysen 9 3900 cpu

MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max motherboard

MSI GTX 1050 Ti video

32 GB memory

So, here is what I happening:

1)  After doing some work for several minutes, if I try to open any of the catalogs, IronCad crashes completely.  Very consisten, very annoying.

2)  On occasion, but not always repeatable, if I close a scene, IronCad goes to showing only the ribbon and menu bar and is totally dead.

3)  Exiting IronCad, appears to close, nothing on the screen, but is still running as a background process and eating up memory.

Is anyone else having these kinds of issues, and is there any workarounds or patches available.  Is this a Ryzen processor issue?

Thanks for any help,

Lewis

Can you try to run IronCAD as Administrator (right-click on the exe and select run as administrator). Does that make any difference? I don't recall reports like this. It maybe good to setup a call with support and they can give you debug information to see if we can track down the issue. Do you have the latest Windows and Graphics drivers installed?

Please download and install the Microsoft Debugger:

https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=864422
(install just the Debugging Tools for Windows from the SDK installer)

1.            Start the WinDebugger (Start, Programs, Windows Kits, Debugging Tools for Windows (X64), WinDbg (x64)
2.            In WinDbg,  go to File, "Open Executable"
3.            Browse to ironcad.exe (typically in C:\Program Files\IronCAD\IRONCAD\20xx\bin)
4.            Click No to the question "Save information for workspace"? (if it comes up)
5.            Click View, Call Stack
6.            Press F5 to go (you may have to press F5 several times to get IronCAD starting, the bottom of the WinDebugger Command window should say "Debuggee is running" when it is actually going)
7.            Let IronCAD attempt to run as usual.

Then when the crash occurs save and send the window text in WinDbg:
1.            Select the Command window
2.            Go to the Edit menu, "Write Windows Text to File..."
3.            Select the Calls window.
4.            Go to the Edit menu, "Write Windows Text to File..."

Then send those text files.  These files can help us determine why IronCAD is failing.

• Like 1

Hi Lewis,

Can you try going to Options>Rendering>Render Options>Driver Type>DirectX11>Display List>Geometry.

Performance>Rendering>unticked both Use Cached Graphics Display Data & Use Visual Load when Opening Files.

Regards

Hi IronKevin,

OK, i tried doing what you suggested.  I got the debugger running, went to File, "Open Executable" and started IronCAD.  BUT, IronCAD did NOT load.

Attached is the text file from the Command window.  The Calls window never loaded, so I couldn't get that data for you.

On an aside, I do have a little bit of programming experience, so I am not totally in the dark about what goes on.  I still have a gut feeling that this is a CPU issue.  I have been running under Windows 7 on an AMD 8370 cpu with absolutely no problems.  Now, I have problems.  hmmm.

As another aside, I can run AutoCAD with no issues, but I am only running the 2D version.  I find it easier to create extrusion outlines in AutoCAD and import into the Extrusion Wizard, rather than trying to draw them is IronCAD sketch.  Just me.  Actually, the main reason is, the extrusion outline is often constrained by other shapes, and I haven't figured out a way to do what I am doing in ACAD 2D in IronCAD's 2D sketch tools.

Oh, well, I have run on long enough, thanks for all you help.

Lewis

Command.TXT

Hi Lewis,

Try running CCleaner free to check your registry. If this doesn't slove it, re-install IC2019SP1. I have been using Ryzen processors (1700X, 2700, 3700X and 3900X) and it is running fine. Only have issues if IC program gets corrupted due to a bad import file or a bad video driver version. The wierdest one was usb 3.0 driver that freezes and crashes IC as my MSI PRO450 was picky about the ssd enclosure chipset which worked fine with my Asrock B350, MSI PRO550 A and HP R5 2500U notebook. I re-installed w10 with latest ISO from the Microsoft site and now is running fine. regards.

Edited by jolizon590016

To jolizon590016,

The new Windows 10 box has not been on the internet, and very few apps have been loaded.  They are all apps that I had installed on Windows 7, so I don't think there is a registry issue, but worth checking.

A re-install of IC might solve some of the problems, but the failing to completely terminate was also happening under Windows 7.  When I first discovered this, I found that there were four versions of IronCAD listed as running processes, each taking up about 700 MB of memory.  No wonder IC has slowed down so much.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Okuchan

Hi Lewis, 

I had the exact same problem. I fixed it by unselecting Full Multi-threading (need for Point Cloud) under Options>>Rendering>>General Rending Options.

I also selected DirectX9 instead of DirectX11. 

Now when I close a scene, IC won't freeze. Hope it helps.