Cross Sections

ITAYLOR

Hi Ian,

Under Tools we have this:

section.png

It isn't as dynamic as Sketchup but you can control and also move the section. It actually dimmed out if no part or assembly is selected, so it is easily missed feature. regards.

Jackpot! Thanks Rob and Jol!

Just realised I did not have my scene 'Assembled'... When I 'select all' now the section tool is 'active' (not greyed out). That is a great tool... Thanks for the lightbulb moment.

Even with the Section Tool, however, it leaves the forklift and racks visible when I cut through the warehose. I had the same problem using a H block.

I seem unable to ADD the racks and forklift to the section &/or brep.

Question:

1. Do I need to reinvent my workflow so the section plane works on the entire scene?

2. or is there a quick fix to hide the forklift and racks (using the scene as is)?

Scene attached

HCB_Solar_3D_3__Section_Test.ics

The Forklift and Racks are Facet parts and will not section since they are not solids.

You can use the Convert to Solid command (Tools tab) to convert them first, then section.

47373[/snapback]

Ok...

Thanks Kevin

• 1 month later...
Ian

on a sidenote: If you right click on the Section tool and select Precise, you can then access the cross section geometry.

t

47375[/snapback]

Awesome (Thanks Tlehn..)... I missed that last time, now I get it... right clicking the section file on the scene browser tree did the trick. I was moving the section plane with the triball before (but it was slow and clunky). Now with 'precise mode" I can just push the section plane anchor.

• 4 months later...

New SECTION problem. I have built a larger and more realistic model since first post.

Using the TOOLS/SECTION Part/Assembly tool... to place a section through the entire model, requires my model be an 'assembly'.

What if my model will NOT assemble. How can I SECTION a view through the entire model?

I can select an assembly (within the model)... But it will only show a section through that assembly (not the whole model).

Can someone show me how to "assemble" the entire model so the TOOLS/'SECTION tool' will work.

My model...

If I select all - the assembly tool is greyed out and I cannot assemble the model.

19634_K_R_Mezz_4__PurlinsFlush.ics

EDIT POST: I have since discovered that if I select all (everything in the scene)... even though the ASSEMBLY icon remains greyed out (forbidding me to assemble)... If I Right Mouse Click the 'active' files in the 'scene browser'... suddenly it knows I want to 'assemble' the selected files, and activates the 'assemble' icon both in the RMB context menu and on the icon on my ASSEMBLY tool set..

So I guess thats problem solved...

PS: As a test... The unassembled model was exported to SKETCHUP as DXF... Imported and SECTIONED first go. There were 420,000 surfaces (so I know we are asking a bit... but it coped.).

post-73299-1539436797_thumb.jpg

No need for reply... I have left this here for the benefit of others.

Summary...

1. A SECTION requires the model to an ASSEMBLY

2. To assemble an entire large model, RIGHT MOUSE CLICK the active files in scene browser

3. Goto TOOLS / SECTION (part/Assy)

post-73299-1539479297_thumb.jpg

Edited by ITAYLOR

Note: It doesn't need to be an assembly. If you click in the background and perform a select all (Ctrl-A), you then can activate the section tool on the selection. It is usually easier to do the assembly as stated, but it can work the other way as well.

You can also add/remove parts/assemblies to the section. Right-click on the section and there is a command to allow that. It is used if you add parts after the section has been created.

Best Regards,

Cary

• 2 weeks later...

If you click in the background and perform a select all (Ctrl-A), you then can activate the section tool on the selection.

Best Regards,

Cary

48099[/snapback]

I created a simple model with new drag and drop parts and your tip works perfectly. Useful tip - thanks!

I think my large model is corrupt. I tried background (Ctrl-A) and it selected everything ok... but the Tools/Section_(Part/Assy) was still greyed out (as was the Feature/Assy tool).

The workaround was to 'Select all'... then, RMB in active scene browser/context menu allowed Assembly... Everything ASSEMBLED into one file ok, which allowed a SECTION command... Alas, this particular model has become clunky to edit and other glitches hindering me.

Time to give up on this model... Not only did I change US steel sections to Australian standards mid project, I have possibly over experimented... but learned loads of good stuff along the way. Thanks again for the tips.

If your model on the select all contained possible elements like a 2D Sketch, 3D Curve, Text, then the command may be disabled since it detected it. Maybe when you created the assembly, it didn't perform that check until it was attempting the actual section. I would need to see the model to understand why it was behaving that way.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks

Cary