VRML

tcooksey

There is a new rapid prototyping machine from Strataysys, the J 750.

This machine is a Polyjet / Objet machine capable of color 3D printing.

They boast 330,000 possible colors as it mixes RGB resins as it is building the part.

The parts they show are simply amazing.

The machine supports images and textures mapped onto the objects and builds a 1 mm thick layer of these colors as an outer skin.

The input they require to use on this machine is a VRML file.

Attached is an image of a figure I am trying to export in this format ( on the left ).

The figure on the right is the re-import of the VRML file I exported from Iron Cad.

This file was exported saving the image map in jpeg format.

It is obvious that the jpeg image does not support the alpha transparency of the original png file I mapped on, but it is also box mapping the image on the object.

I had used slide projector mode to map the image originally.

If I set the export options to gif, the VRML file imports the geometry fine, but no image map.

My first choice had been png as it supports transparency in the alpha channel, but the program crashes during export ( report attached ).

Any thoughts about this issue or how to get proper results?

Thanks,

Troy

FIGURE_VRML_ISSUES.png

IRONCAD18.0_08_19_2016_10_41_AM_ExceptionLog.txt

Guest TCHITANDA

Hello Troy,

Please send us the original .ics files associated with this error so that we can conduct an initial investigation of the issue. Once we have done this, we will be able to determine if there is a way to get around this problem or if it needs to be sent to R&D to be resolved.

Tito

Hello Troy,

Please send us the original .ics files associated with this error so that we can conduct an initial investigation of the issue. Once we have done this, we will be able to determine if there is a way to get around this problem or if it needs to be sent to R&D to be resolved.

Tito

43638[/snapback]

Tito,

Thanks.

File attached here.

Note there is a mesh and a solid model of the figure in the file, but they seem to work the same during export.

Troy

ANGEL_03.zip

Guest TCHITANDA

Hello Troy,

I can confirm that this bug has been logged (Incident ID#: 107273) and will be responded to shortly.

We will endeavour to respond to this as soon as possible, and in the meantime, if you have any

additional information regarding this case or need immediate feedback, please quote the attached Ref Number in all correspondence.

Tito

Guest TCHITANDA

Hello Troy,

I would like to confirm that this issue is currently being investigated by the Research and Development Team.

The bug report has recently been opened by R&D will be reviewed and resolved in a timely manner.

Tito

Hello Troy,

I would like to confirm that this issue is currently being investigated by the Research and Development Team.

The bug report has recently been opened by R&D will be reviewed and resolved in a timely manner.

Tito

43643[/snapback]

Thanks!

FYI, I have attached a document that the Rapid Prototype vendor sent me regarding how to generate the necessary files in several different software packages.

Note I also tried it in Rhino and this did not produce proper results either ( did not maintain image map ).

Troy

Best_Practice___Stratasys_J750_Color_Selection___English_A4_Print__002_.pdf

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Tito,

1 of our customers having the same issue with the same printer.

When they add images it will work because the export to WRL also create the images. But i won't pick up the color. Custommer told me they looked at it with the dealer of the 3D printer and they said ironcad isn't creating the bitmaps for the color.

So i asked him to test if he only ad images and no collors. example, a image of the collor red etc.

i'm not sure or we export it wrongly or they import it wrongly. or mayb is there an easy way to solve this?

Hi Tito,

1 of our customers having the same issue with the same printer.

When they add images it will work because the export to WRL also create the images. But i won't pick up the color. Custommer told me they looked at it with the dealer of the 3D printer and they said ironcad isn't creating the bitmaps for the color.

So i asked him to test if he only ad images and no collors. example, a image of the collor red etc.

i'm not sure or we export it wrongly or they import it wrongly. or mayb is there an easy way to solve this?

43765[/snapback]

As a follow up, we finally got this to work with Photoshop ( neither IC or Rhino worked, and I have not had a chance to try it in SW ).

See the best practices document I attached previously.

Our workflow was;

1) import OBJ data into Rhino

2) add base color of meshes in Rhino by assigning material colors

3) Export as 3ds out of Rhino

4) Open 3ds in Photoshop ( most recent version being used )

5) Generate UVs

6) Open image map in PS and copy paste onto 3ds file

7) Once in proper place MERGE DOWN image map

8) Unify for 3D printing

9) Generate UVs

10) Export VRML with image output as BMP format 24bit.

Most of this is in the Best Practices document, but it assumes you know how to work with the 3D files in PS.

You may need to watch some demos on You Tube as we did.

Just a note to Tito and IC, it seems like BMP image format works best with that 3D printer for the VRML output, which is current not an export option in IC.

Troy