Align model/scene with picture

B. Ludin

hi IC folks - Happy New Year to ya all

Every now and then I would like to align an IC model/scene with a picture. I use a tool to make the IC window 50% transparent and the I try to align the model with the underlying picture using the camera tools - and usually fail miserable.

Does anybody know how to go about that?

(aligning, not failing ;-) )

It would be fabulous if there was a tool where I could select 4 points in the model and click the position where they should appear on the sceen and the tool would adjust the camera parameters accordingly.

I`m not using IC for rendering so usually I do not have a need for camera matching..

But you can make fast "proxy" models to make environment...

Here is video how I make model from image proxy.. Maybe You get some new ideas..

https://vimeo.com/151151565

42133[/snapback]

Thanks. But what we are trying to do is very different. More like singe-picture random-angle stereogrammetry with a lot of prior knowledge.

To give you an simplified idea. We have a picture taken at a random angle with a table and a box on it. We have a model of the table and we want to model the box. For that we need to align the scene such that the model of the table exactly overlies the table in the picture. Adjusting the camera position, angle and perspective is a tedious trial&error process with the existing camera tools but with a proper tool, it would only take 8 mouse clicks.

I agree, that camera tools must be enhanced.

I think, easiest way is move the model, using Tribal. Not a camera.

Using ideas from SketchUp lessons. Create sketch with long 2D lines (XYZ) and using Tribal align this "axes" along the edges of the object in the picture. In this case the plane for future modeling will be placed as needed for you.

This is in relation to sketch up video.

I hope this helps. This is how I get by this situation. I use the orbit to set position of the object to in relation to the horizontal position (horizon reference) Next I set the camera view angle: 20mm = 94°; 24mm = 84°; 28mm = 75°.

What it does is push it all back but maintains the view angle (perspective). Never use the scroll zoom or any zoom command as it will change the view angle. Use Dolly (F4) to move in or out, Walk (Ctrl+F4) to move around left and right, Pan to move the view up and down with set horizon and Orbit to go up or below the object. I know you are familiar with this camera command, but these commands noted will never change the the camera view lens angle. Zoom commands and Fit scene will always change this to the default 18°. It will be great if there is Slider/View preview window than the numerical position camera window:

camera_dialog.png

It is not perfect but it is way to get around it.

regards - joseph

Edited by jolizon590016