Modeling "Wavy" glass

tlehnhaeuser

I think loft sections and bump texture will work visually but if it needs to be in 3d impression, we need to go back to old days of getting a slab and putting shallow sphere, ellipsoid, odd shapes, blend edges as a mosaic and combine it all. Then make it a boolean subtractive plate of the vessel sides. We always get spoiled by new features but sometimes we go back the hard way. ninja.gif

Kev, thanks for a 2016 sneek update ninja.gifcool.gifwink.gif

Edited by jolizon590016

I think loft sections and bump texture will work visually but if it needs to be in 3d impression, we need to go back to old days of getting a slab and putting shallow sphere, ellipsoid, odd shapes, blend edges as a mosaic and combine it all. Then make it a boolean subtractive plate of the vessel sides. We always get spoiled by new features but sometimes we go back the hard way.  ninja.gif

Kev, thanks for a 2016 sneek update  ninja.gif  cool.gif  wink.gif

40842[/snapback]

U r correct sir, but then you have to hope there are no change requests :-)

I looked the Blender to see if its possible, I don't know it well, but it looks like the have a cell fracture tool that will fracture into shards a part, then an global bevel to to round off. But it looks painful to do if your not a blender guru.

t

Oh change, it does change a lot. This validates that IC should add a catalog for industrial design tools as current model that it only has to adapt. I am thinking a loud that it is a industrial design catalog tool so not to inflate the cost of IC as oppose add all features as desired. Currently I think Tom's or any other with similar projects that require i.d. input demands maybe at 80/20 (20% i.d) but should progress to at least 65/35 to catch up with industrial design norms set by swx and autodesk enhancing their product category specifically address the requirements of industrial design. Tsuhar's topics on http://www.surfandcode.in/ give insight to parasolid manipulation that I hope we can all learn from if programing permits to create at least an i.d. catalog set or a plug in.

Blender will be really good if I was 32 years younger. I remember the first iteration of Rhino that I really force myself to learn but got sort off dismayed when I wanted to control the exact dimensions unless I am a well verse autocad user then but I was already happy with trispectives.

regards - joseph

Edited by jolizon590016

Does anyone have an approach to modeling the actual "waves" in glass as shown in the image. Scanning is not an option, client wants to make a 3D print of a bottle using this wavy glass effect.

Any help is appreciated.

FullSizeRender.jpg

40835[/snapback]

What about the software for free form sculpting? Some times ago we talked about one in this forum.

Edited by ysinitsyn

http://pixologic.com/sculptris/

http://www.artofillusion.org/index

Art to part

It can also be nice if you can apply bumps from texture on a intellishape face and extract a 3d surface from it. rolleyes.gif

Edited by jolizon590016

What about the software for free form sculpting? Some times ago we talked about one in this forum.

40872[/snapback]

Yes theres Sculptris and Blender has clay modeling, but this is not really and "organic" shape, It needs to adhere to some sort of mosaic pattern and then be freefrom. It's tricky.

I think ( I need to confirm) that Delcam had a add-on that would 3D image data. It was used to make texture patterns for molds, I need to see if that exists, either way it nots a solution since client would need to purchase additional software, since its a on-off that's not happening.

t

Tom, could you open the mosaic .png file in something like Inkscape or Illustrator, vectorize it, save to DXF and import that into a sketch in IronCAD and model from there? Maybe start with an extrude then contour it with a loft.

40895[/snapback]

I tried that, the issue is the sections between each mosais really need to be "domed".

This is no pun, but Cadbury, produced a choc bar with whimsical random odd bubble blocks. Just can't find the image. Can try a combo of H shapes with blend edges and capped ends. blush.gif

Tom, on your grabcad models think you have done organic shape: arteries, coffee and jellybeans. I think you can pluck and pellet those models and make them boolean union on slab. That may do something similar to the initial glass image you have shown. Just thinking aloud.

Edited by jolizon590016

Thanks, I appreciate the help and kudos, but generating a workaround to achieve a so-so result is not my thing :-). I will attempt to see if I can come up with a workaround that is "legimate" sort to speak.

We'll see :-)

t

ps: If I could split the face using the mosaic and then have a handle in the center of each section to pull up and "dome" that would get me 95% there.