hole pattern along elipse

bmckelvie

I have been trying to make a hole pattern along an ellipse and I'm getting some rather unexpected results.

My procedure is; I have made a 2d profile of the ellipse that I want the holes to be placed on, then I drag a hole to the line and tell it to link along the curve. The first time I try, IronCad simply does nothing, the second time it makes a small cluster of overlapping holes. So if there is a better way of doing this I would love to know!

I am attaching a video demonstrating what is going on.

Thanks

Brent

*edited for grammer

ironcad_ellipse_holes.mp4

Edited by bmckelvie

Use the edge of the elliptical shape, instead a sketch. Or extract the 3D Curve from the sketch and use the 3D Curve as a trajectory for the pattern.

39462[/snapback]

Thanks, that works a little better, but it still leaves two problems: one, I should be able to draw and then place holes along a curve,

and two, the first hole does not place correctly, it just moves over one radius from the initial hole, then the next holes all space out correctly from the first linked on.

Please post your file or send it to support@ironcad.com so we can investigate further.

39466[/snapback]

This is a file i just made to demonstrate the issues, it has both problems. An elliptical path with the holes positioned incorrectly on it, as well as the holes positioned on the outside edge of an ellipse with the first hole offset incorrectly.

I made the file simply by dragging and sizing an ellipse, then 2d sketching a random sized ellipse on it.

I then drug a hole to the center of the ellipse and then copied it to each point. I then drug it to the curve and told it to link along the curve with a number of 4 and a distance of 25mm

Hope this all helps

ellipse_test_part.ics

Hopefully this will be helpful in your problem solving, but I made a video starting from scratch of what I believe to be the same or similar odd behavior, in this video I get the holes to follow the outside of the ellipse, but they do not evenly distribute correctly, when finished they leave an wide area with no holes and two areas with double holes.

Ironcad_elipse_holes_2.mp4