Using Reference Surfaces with Structured Parts

Malcolm Crowe

When working in structured part mode, while it is possible to reference 3D elements of other structured parts (such as faces and edges), it currently isn't possible to reference 2D sketches within those structured parts. If you are used to being able to do this in other CAD software such as SOLIDWORKS then this is the work around.

Within the structured part that you want to reference, create a reference surface of the particular 2D sketch that you want other structured parts to reference. This surface will be separate body that can then be hidden or shown as required.

In the attached sample assembly (IC2013PU1) there is an innovative reference sketch, and innovative part (1) that is referencing the innovative reference sketch. There is also a structured part (1) that is referencing the innovative reference sketch, while also containing a reference surface that structured part (2) is referencing.

If you switch between the 2 design variations of the assembly then you can see that the relationships between the parts are maintained. In particular the position and outside diameter of structured part (2) which is driven by the hidden reference surface in structured part (1).

Reference surfaces are also useful when exporting files in neutral formats to other CAD systems, as they can be used as reference planes and sketches which wouldn't otherwise be exported.

Using_Reference_Surfaces_with_Structured_Parts_130727.ics

Actually I think you can reference the sketches between parts. However there is one limitation. If you have a part as "Set as Active" you cannot see sketches from other parts. So as long as you are not in that mode, you should be able to reference the sketches unless I misunderstand your comments.

Cary

Thanks Cary, for the tip about not having any parts "Active".

So working within that limitation, it is first necessary to create 2D sketches without associations within the active structured part that you are creating. Then deactivate it if you want to create associations (constraints) with sketches in other structured parts, which will now be visible.

This is really helpful to me as I prefer to (and sometimes need to) associate underlying sketches.