Question: Top 6 actions?

Cary OConnor

In the day to day design tasks in 3D, what are your top 6 commands that you use most often. For Example: Triball, Extrude, Sketch, Blend, Spin, etc.

We are looking at faster ways of accessing a few common commands and wanted a little feedback.

Another question: In the day to day design, what commands or process of commands could be improved to be faster or more intelligent. Note: This has to be a common command/action among all users not a specific design flow.

Thanks

Cary

1. Triball

2. Edit Shape

3. Extrude

4. Spin

5. Hide/show commands

6. Annotations, Measure

All inputs need to have a memory. Example: When you are doing an offset of say .100” and then you come back to off something else the .100” need to be there so you won’t need to reenter. This holds true for translate with Triball and other command entries.

Dallas

1. TriBall

2. Window Zoom

3. Fit Scene

4. Extrude Wizard

5. Offset

6. Project

As far as improving process of commands goes:

All direct entry fields (distance, radius, etc.) should remember the previous setting within a drawing session. (For instance, if I use an offset distance of .125, the next time I use Offest, it should already be set to .125.)

All button dropdowns (even on the S menu) should remember the last-used tool (and there should at least be a setting to make wizards the default.)

Edited by Mike Allen

1.TriBall

2.Extrude Wizard

3.Spin Wizard

4.Chamfer Edge

5.Blend Edge

6.Hide Unselected

When it comes to the improvement of the commands or process;

1.Enable the Window Zoom with mouse only. Ex)Wheel + LMB Drag for Window

Zoom

2.Both-side copy with TriBall

3.Shortcut for TriBall commands such as move, copy, link copy, pattern, to point,

to center point, to mid-point. Ex)Select the TriBall Handle and hit the short cut

for the above commands.

4.Ability to repeat the commands. Ex)RMB to repeat the command just completed.

5.Virtual ruler to measure the distance or size or to snap, when select TriBall or

Sizebox

6.Additional option for constraints when Mate & Align Positioning

7.ESC key in Positioning Constraints undo just one latest constraint not all the

constraints since the last Apply

8.Option for Box selection to exclude the view in Drawing

9.Command to create widely used catalog such as block, cylinder, custome hole.

10.Command to edit the tooltbl.txt Ex)Tools>Options>Stock List

Triball

( then the options while Triball is active, such as Spacebar )

Hide

UnHide

Target

Look At

Like Tom said, it depends on what mode I am working.

If I am trying to make wires, I use a specific sequence and limited tools. So what I would ask for is possibly a way to set up maybe 5 different "Modes" determined by the user, that allows a certain bunch of "shortcuts" that also could be assigned by the user.

So I could see a "Wire Mode", a "Blend/Chamfer Mode", etc, that allows IC to work more smoothly when doing a large amount of any one thing. The normal way IC works is nice, because there is no real "Mode" you have to be in. But, there are some times, when I am modeling something that might be heavy in Wires, for example, that I would love to have a "Wire Mode" that makes the process more streamlined. One or two wires, no problem. Lots of wires, big problem........

As far as improving or making something faster, I would love to see a better way to make wire/piping, and also better ways to handle how the BOM picks up information from the model, such as a way to pick many parts at once, and change the check box for whether it is used in the BOM, or not. I use IronPro, but this is not the best either for this feature. More to come

Mike

Two common commands that could be improved:

1. Catalog tabs

On the right side of the screen there is a tab “catalog browser” that pops out the catalogs. It takes some time to carefully guide the curser over that small tab, could this tab be made about 3” long to run half way down the screen? Then a quick flick of the curser to the upper right would be all that is needed to pop out the current catalog.

To access most catalogs the user must carefully click on the upper right tab, then carefully guide the curser down to a little 1/8” button in the lower right, then click, then move up to carefully the select the catalog.

Could a long (like 3”) tab be added to the lower right to pop up the full catalog list? Just flick the curser over to the lower right to pop up the complete catalog list.

Another option is to go back to the old layout with catalog tabs down the whole right side of the screen.

2. Multi column screen browser

A catalog can be expanded into multi columns, even to the point of filling the entire screen; this saves a lot of scrolling and is a big help with large catalogs.

Could the screen browser also be able to be expanded to multi columns? With large assemblies the user spends so much time in the browser scrolling or clicking on tiny boxes to expand or contract items. With multi columns, perhaps pinned on a 2nd monitor, the whole assembly and part structure could be seen at a glance, and one could directly pick as needed.

1. Triball and its options

2. Camera: Look at, Target, Rotate, zoom with mouse wheel, Fit to Scene

3. Un/ Suppress // Un / Hide (I hope on the "Part as "Ghost" tool*)

4. Interpolite 3d Curve

5. Measure Lenght of 3d curve (I hope on the "3d curve lenght as name" tool )

6. Thicken

7. Ruled Surface ( I hope on the developable surface tool)

8. Shape Handle & its options

9. Blend Edge between shapes

*The ghost object:

I offen have to redesign an object to the point where it is perfect.

So I like to compare with the existing version before.

If I work with 3d curve on surface (Interpolite) the curve always attaches the wrong surface!

So it would be nice to have an ghost option (similar to supress / hide)

Means: I can see the object but not attach it.

Edited by cborer