Unwanted results of update to BOM in icd

HDEAR

I decided to venture into using BOMs on .icd drawings.

On many drawings, I don't want the full BOM list so I have removed rows that really aren't applicable to what I want to illustrate.

For example, one drawing comes up with a BOM of 56 rows. I only want ( say ) 25 rows itemised so I remove the unwanted rows.

The problem I am having is when the sheet of BOM updates, it goes back to showing the whole damn 56 rows again.

How can I make my own adjustments ( omissions of rows and formatting ) to BOM without loosing my set-up when the sheet requires updating?

Is the BOM you want based on a particular view on the drawing? You can create a view based BOM by selecting the view prior to creating the BOM. That is one method.

The other is go to the 3D and Turn off the Include in BOM for the objects you don't want to appear in the BOM.

Best Regards,

Cary

The ICD drawing should be linked to an ICS model file, within that model you have to set up "configurations" (views) of the model to match your required view and BOM on the icd drawing. For each configuration you set up, select the parts you - DO NOT - want and "suppress" them, either from the view or the scene tree.

In the linked ICD drawing, views that need updating to the model configuration will have a thick grey box around them, left mouse click within that grey box, it will add a thin red outline, right click and select "update view", the drawing will reflect the .ics configuration. A BOM table works the same way. You will get into a cycle of editing the model, updating the icd, editing the model, updating the icd. It will resolve in the end.

Each part of the 3d model has an "assembly property" (right click select "assembly properties") where you set if that part is included in the BOM, and give it a part # and description that appears in the BOM table, also if the part is treated as a unique part or expanded into multiple parts. If you have blank lines you have parts that need to have their properties set up or be disabled. Finding these blank line parts can be a real pain the the rear, and there seems to be no indicating mechanism to help in finding them (help here please if anyone knows how) although I find the part in the preceding complete line is a good place to start looking.

1) An ICD file can have only one BOM table if you have multiple sheets in that file, however you can cut and paste the original BOM table to another sheet if you need it.

2) There is a bug in updating a BOM table where the item #'s disappear, you'll have to edit the table or reload it. This happens to us on multiple workstations.

3) Part #'s determine an item's qty in the BOM table, the description does not.

If you have just started using BOM's in ICD files you may need to invest some time in updating your ics models so that the assembly properties are correctly set up, until then you will see blank lines in BOM tables, once done though it is a very useful feature. It helps to correct and set up everything first and then update table last, previous item bubbles placed will track the updated BOM table.

Apologies for the long post and repeating what many will already know.

I'm open to any corrections or easier methods.

Hi Mike,

Regarding the blank lines in the BOM, I agree that it would be helpful with a visual help to find out which blank row that belongs to a certain object. A mouse over on rows maybe could light up the part, similar to how the item bubble does.

I usually say that when you create the BOM, you should already know what comes up there. To do that we use the PROActiveManager BOM from IC Mechanical/IronPRO XT. It has many useful BOM tools and you can create many different types of lists from the same scene, just by a few settings and BOM templates in 3D.

Find out more about it here, where Part 1 shows handling of properties and Part 2 manages the BOM tools:

I usually say that when you create the BOM, you should already know what comes up there. To do that we use the PROActiveManager BOM from IC Mechanical/IronPRO XT. It has many useful BOM tools and you can create many different types of lists from the same scene, just by a few settings and BOM templates in 3D.

Find out more about it here, where Part 1 shows handling of properties and Part 2 manages the BOM tools:

46603[/snapback]

Thanks Jonas - you're a star!

• 2 years later...

I know its an old post, but I eventually found out (and forgot to reply) that the "blank" rows usually are for the item in the BOM immediately before the blank line. It's usually a part set to "expand" rather than "treat as part", but not always.  The Scene quick search facility is also useful in drilling down to these parts.