.ics Extension

janttila

It deletes assosiation to outlook and creates a new one

to the IronCAD.Scene class and sets the shell/open to Ic

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ics\ironCAD.Scene

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\IronCAD.Scene\shell\open\command\C:\Program\IronCAD\10.0\bin\ironcad.exe "%1"

I will fix support for v9 next week.

I've installed it & it works pretty well. All .ics files now open with IronCAD if I double-click them in Windows Explorer.

Nevertheless, you can't keep Microsoft down. Outlook comes up at the top of the "Open With..." menu and the next time I rebooted & started Outlook, all the .ics files switched back to calendar icons (but they still open in IronCAD when I double-click them.)

I guess Microsoft just knows better than we do - .ics just has to be a calendar file. rolleyes.gif

I've installed it & it works pretty well. All .ics files now open with IronCAD if I double-click them in Windows Explorer.

Nevertheless, you can't keep Microsoft down. Outlook comes up at the top of the "Open With..." menu and the next time I rebooted & started Outlook, all the .ics files switched back to calendar icons (but they still open in IronCAD when I double-click them.)

I guess Microsoft just knows better than we do - .ics just has to be a calendar file.  rolleyes.gif

21324[/snapback]

Yes i know, thats why i made it as an install application and not a reg file, sometimes you need to run it every time you start windows.

sometimes its enough to rightclick on the .ics file and choose open with ironcad after you run icsReclaim, that helps sometimes.

Or try to set outlook to not check if it is the default app for email and calender files, works fore some versions of office.

Edited by janttila

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

i tried the ic9-version.

The path for ironcad after the install is now: bin\ironcad.exe "%1"

and it should be: "C:\Program Files\IronCAD\9.0\bin\ironcad.exe"

Do you know how that can be?

I can change it but it won`t stay there after a restart of the computer

Nevertheless, you can't keep Microsoft down...

I guess Microsoft just knows better than we do - .ics just has to be a calendar file.  rolleyes.gif

21324[/snapback]

Hey... their OS, their rules. Who's bright idea was it to pick a microsoft extension for IronCAD files to begin with? I think it is long past time for a new IronCAD Scene file extension...

Guest EricFoy
Hey... their OS, their rules.  Who's bright idea was it to pick a microsoft extension for IronCAD files to begin with?  I think it is long past time for a new IronCAD Scene file extension...

21410[/snapback]

Solid Point, Mike. (no nefarious reference intended)

How about these:

IronCAD scene... .iro -or- .iron

IronCAD drawing... .fer (short for ferrite) -or- .eis (short for eiserne (german))

-Just some goofy ideas... Maybe the IronDudes should hold a contest... wink.gif

Edited by EricFoy

Hi,

i tried the ic9-version.

The path for ironcad after the install is now: bin\ironcad.exe "%1"

and it should be: "C:\Program Files\IronCAD\9.0\bin\ironcad.exe"

Do you know how that can be?

I can change it but it won`t stay there after a restart of the computer

21409[/snapback]

Try again now, i refuse to give up;)

uninstall

download, install and run.

and please notify me! smile.gif

• 6 years later...

Hi

Sorry for bringing this old thread back to life, but I do have the exact same problem with Ironcad 14 on windows 7. After I changed the ics file association, I get Ironcad logo or a 2 color block transition from red to blue.

Tried to download the reclaim tool, but link is not recognized.

.icd files are showing thumbnails fine.

Is there also a solution for my configuration?

Kind regards,

Christopher

• 8 months later...
I have never found a permanent solution to this problem, sadly the tool described above hasn't been updated in years.

40239[/snapback]

simply try to delete the two entries in the registry.

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2134629734-1534462894-3128833934-1000\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.ics

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2134629734-1534462894-3128833934-1000\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RecentDocs\.ics

right click ikon - set as deflaut ironcad

enjoy.

Edited by dleczynski