Slow after update

MRAHM

Hi

Is there anyone else who have updated windows to W10? My experience is that IronCAD has become slow after update from W7 to W10. Unfortunatly IC was updated in the same time frame so I can´t realy tell if it is IC or Windows that is slow.

Has anyone else updated to W10?

Is latest version of IC working for you?

/micke

Hi Micke,

My experience with W10 is mixed bag. The first install was great and fast. The second W10 service update was sluggish as it automatically turned on features that cause a jump in resources like windows spoltlight and the run time broker. You can see fixes for that if you search it on the internet with links to windows forums. The last one is fine. IC is running with less crash than I was with W7 but I still have issues with the OpengL/Opengl2 settings (I posted it on the forum also and no update from Techsoft Hoops about it as to AMD gpus)so I use DX9.

Running both the latest versions

Edited by jolizon590016

I guess it makes the case for an alternative platoform? Linux, Apple...Ubuntu :-)

42612[/snapback]

Yeah, it seems like there is too much ongoing maintenance with Windows. Once in a while I run into problems with IronCAD and it's usually performance related or something that has keeps me from getting work done.

I'm still running W7 but I didn't notice a difference in performance from SP2 to SP3 or SP4.

However, I was having problems I think around SP2 and Kevin suggested I update the video driver. At the same time I thought I just recently updated the video driver and someone else suggested I try IObit to keep the drivers up to date. Sure enough there was a new video driver and ran smooth again. The thing about IObit I noticed was that it updated a lot of other stuff I wasn't aware was out of date and I haven't had much of a problem since. So hopefully it will stay that way. You might give it a try.

Incase you're interested, that was IObit Advanced System Care.

Edited by Doug Gower

I guess it makes the case for an alternative platoform? Linux, Apple...Ubuntu :-)

42612[/snapback]

I think that the trouble is the geometric kernel. From what I know Parasolid and Acis only works on Windows. IF I remember both Parasolid and Acis is single threaded due to the complexety to rewrite them. I gues it can be a lot of work to port them to another system that have smaller marketshare.

OpenCascade and Ascon has both geometric kernels that runs on Windows, Linux and OsX. Opencascade is multithreaded with helps you get the most out of your new multi Core computer.

The kernel is limiting because it is the brain. The hole CAD application is developed around the kernel. But beside the kernel there is nothing that could´t been written in such a way that a CAD system is platform independent. From my point of view it is bad habbit to write for one OS. And when we today see that Andoid has 80% marketshare in phones and is released 2007 we just can guess what happens in 5-10 years for desktop computers. Microsoft is still biggest on desktop computers but I would focus on web and platform independency for the future.

But the market rules. My CAM software is written in Delphi which is platform independent but it is only released for Windows. The hole CAD/CAM industri thinks Windows. And even if I prefer Linux and osx Windows is a great OS that has become better over the years.

/micke

Edited by MRAHM