Performance Question

Eric Foy

I'm looking for tips on the best way to increase my IronCAD performance. If anyone has any suggestions based on experience, and given my current configuration, I would be most appreciative!

Where my system slows down is when I load a large assembly. The video processing seems to be what grinds to a halt, requiring that I turn off edge visibily, and then everything seems to cruise along quite well. Another slow-down point is in the IC drawing environment, particularly while placing item bubbles, as the program draws the selected item in green highlight. Does anyone know if the program utilizes the graphics hardware in the drawing environment, and will a better graphics card therefore increase performance there?

Specifically, I'm prepared to drop the 750 bucks on a Quadro 4200. Do you think I'll get a boost from that? Or should I concentrate more on, maybe, a dual Xeon system or something?

Thoughts, anyone...?

post-62195-1423102202_thumb.jpg

Hi Eric,

Try lowering the screen resolution, to say 1680x1050, just to see what happens. Make sure that IC is closed before you make the change.

From my experience those Quadro Kxx00 cards are working really great and we have several users that recently upgraded from older Quadro cards with fantastic results. I know at least three that bought the new Quadro K2200 and it is running like a charm.

How many parts do you have in the scene?

I did a "Save As" into a new directory to get the answer...

The main file and all linked files total 45MB, 24 files.

_______

After a a bunch of experimentation, I have achieved much better performance. The most significant settings were:

1. Options|Performance|Rendering: Select "Use low quality transparency effects when FPS is low."

2. Options|Rendering|Advanced OpenGL/Direct3D|Display List: Select "Segment."

Comparing OpenGL, OpenGL2, and DirectX... I ran some "spin tests" on a given model and looked at the FPS. Here's how they scored:

OpenGL : 10.5 FPS

OpenGL2 : 9.2 FPS

DirectX : 8.0 FPS

The OpenGL2 gives by far the prettiest picture, so that's what I'm using.

With all that said, I'm still open to anyone's input to my original question.

• 1 month later...
I did a "Save As" into a new directory to get the answer...

The main file and all linked files total 45MB, 24 files.

_______

After a  a bunch of experimentation, I have achieved much better performance. The most significant settings were:

1. Options|Performance|Rendering: Select "Use low quality transparency effects when FPS is low."

2. Options|Rendering|Advanced OpenGL/Direct3D|Display List: Select "Segment."

Comparing OpenGL, OpenGL2, and DirectX... I ran some "spin tests" on a given model and looked at the FPS. Here's how they scored:

OpenGL : 10.5 FPS

OpenGL2 : 9.2 FPS

DirectX : 8.0 FPS

The OpenGL2 gives by far the prettiest picture, so that's what I'm using. 

With all that said, I'm still open to anyone's input to my original question.

39875[/snapback]

Hi Eric

Earlier I had performance issues. But that was one complex part with many features. Arfer the support gave the tips to turn of kernel collabration load time went from 12 min to 30 seconds.

/micke