IronCad VS Solidworks comparison

bmckelvie

I have been an IronCad user for about 5 years and continue to be with my own projects, but I recently started at a new job where I have to use Solidworks for modeling, and in the last two weeks I have started writing down my thoughts whenever I get annoyed with IC or SW.

This is what I have come up with, and remember that it is my opinion so it probably contains many inaccuracies, but I think it is a fair look at both (with a little emotion thrown in).

Modeling – IronCad wins hands down, no comparison. It is faster, more intuitive, and just nicer to work with. My only complaint about IronCad's modeling is I wish I could make planes there are some times while modeling or aligning parts that a plane would just make everything easier. (I know structured parts have them but I find that structured parts feel like an after thought and are way to limiting for anything serious)

The big advantages that IronCad hasl are:

The catalog combined with Drag and drop modeling, Making parts/assembly throwing them in the catalog and pulling them back out at will is great.

Boolean features – nothing needs to be said, they are perfect

TriBall - All of the fun ways I can move, copy, pattern, and rotate features and parts works great.

Sectioning 3d models - to get a better view of the inside is very handy and works well in IronCad

Face Editing – I create a lot of metal structures to be welded together, and making angles on the ends of tubes through face editing is great. (a good enhancement would be to allow resizing the length after a face edit!)

Assembly’s – IronCad wins again, I love how IronCad deals with assemblies, being able to make new assemblies from inside a scene and opening them separately is great.. I find Solidworks assemblies to be limiting, slow and prone to exploding in horrible ways. The only thing that I like about solid works assemblies are when I click on a part it has all of its constraints listed under the part in the tree as well as at the bottom under mates (constraints)

Creating Detailed drawings – Solidworks wins here, It automatically adjusts line lengths for hidden lines so they actually look hidden, its hole call out tool is wonderful, moving dimensions from one view to another is effortless and linking the notes to drawings properties is quick and intuitive. It also deals with large changes to the 3d model better. IE: when the model changes solid works finds the correct edge to reattach to very nicely. Solidworks BOM and dimension snaps work better and alining them to a shape outside the view is much easier. Basically it works with you instead of fighting you every step of the way. IronCad has CAXA now and things are improving but so far I still find it quite awkward to use.

Mechanism mode- Solidworks wins big here because it actually works. After using Solidworks for only 3 weeks I feel confident in saying that IronCad's mechanism mode is broken and incomplete. I don't think I can describe how much more intuitive and easier to use Solidworks mechanism mode, and constraint solving is. This is my single biggest complaint about IronCad.

Sheet Metal – IronCad wins this, I love IronCad's sheet metal package, and never want to touch another software package's sheet-metal functions again. My only complaint about it is changing the thickness of stock is a pain.

Sketching – This is a draw IronCad makes horrible default choices for what to change when adjusting sketches (I swear it tries on purpose to move lines the wrong way), but Solidworks sketch function is just awkward to use slow and not meant for humans.

Stability – Solidworks wins here but should not get any bragging rights from it, I find if I use ether software package for a whole day I can be guaranteed to see a least one crash, probably at least two with IronCad.

All in all I prefer IronCad but I can definitely see why Solidworks is so popular. I would love to hear any other opinions on this.

+1 on everything

I`m taking SolidWorks training course these days... I`m big PITA with IC solutions compare to SW

ninja.gif

39865[/snapback]

I've been using IC for about a 5 weeks, coming from SW. I agree with the OP, there are certainly some things about SW that are way easier to use especially the 2D sketch tools in SW as opposed to IC. IC could sure use planes and sketch tools like SW. Smart dimensions are eaier to use in SW but I'm getting used IC and I'm liking it a lot.

Terry

• 7 months later...
Sketching – This is a draw IronCad makes horrible default choices for what to change when adjusting sketches (I swear it tries on purpose to move lines the wrong way), but Solidworks sketch function is just awkward to use slow and not meant for humans.

I may be wrong here, but don't the sketch lines in IronCAD adjust according to which side of the midpoint you select before changing the dimension?

For example, if you want to send the line upwards you select the top half, then change the dimension and the line will adjust in that direction?

Great post by the way! I agree with many of your points.

Having had training in SolidWorks, given the choice between the two I'd pick IronCAD every day of the week biggrin.gif

I agree with most of the things, except skething witch I think IC-team should study more of how it´s done in SW. How ever I can live with a slightly poorer sketch funktion.

What I do lack is the possibility to analyze drafts. I´ve sad that before but it is important when making moulds and foundry models. Implement that and I will be satisfied for a very long time.

Anyway I´ve worked a great deal with both SW and IC and my choise is obviously IC.

My only complaint about IronCad's modeling is I wish I could make planes there are some times while modeling or aligning parts that a plane would just make everything easier. (I know structured parts have them but I find that structured parts feel like an after thought and are way to limiting for anything serious)

39863[/snapback]

Just to address the plane "complaint" What I do is create a 2D shape (just a rectangle for example) and save I to a catalog. then when I need a "plane" I simply drag the 2D shape where I need and adjust with TriBall if required. The added benefit is I want to create a shketch on the "plane" I just edit its cross section to suit.

Hope this helps

t

• 4 weeks later...
I agree that draft analysis is the critical missing tool with mold designers in mind.  Parting line tools would be nice to have as well, but this function can be done manually with other tools (such as surfacing) within IC.

Malcolm

41453[/snapback]

Hi Malcolm.

Joe had mentioned a draft analysis tool that works with IronCAD (thru translation) and I tried it and its pretty good for simple tests.

http://www.ironcad.com/support/community/i...draft++analysis

Tom

• 2 weeks later...
http://robosim.ironcad.jp/

in robosim is also a possibility, you will see the benefits of structural parts (you can add constraints to the plane).

41763[/snapback]

Yes the Robosim is much easier to work with than the dialogs. You can use the TriBall to drag to specific locations and set the animation movements along the timeline. Can't wait to see more from that tool!

Cary