> co-ordinate dimension not picking up view scale

PWATSON
post Jun 1 2017, 02:18 PM
Post #1

Group: Community Members
Member No.: 62,012

Hi Everyone.
Im new to the forum

I have been using the Caxa draft environment primarily due to its usefulness with Autocadd.

My question:
When i use co-ordinate dimensions the returned dimension value is for a measurement scale of 1:1 only, so when the views are scaled i have to manually enter the scale factor thru properties manager.

Am I missing something? - is there a setting that I need to set to pick up the scale factor of the view?
I will typically use the "free" co-ordinate dimn

thanks,
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Malcolm Crowe
post Jun 2 2017, 05:41 AM
Post #2

Sphere

Member No.: 56,294

Hi. Coordinates behave differently than Dimensions within CAXA. Coordinates relate to the model space or layout space that they are in, rather than the object that they are attached to. So, if your projected view has a scale of 2:1 (like in the attached video), the Coordinates will show double the value of the actual object. Again, because Coordinates aren't measuring the object itself, but the space that the projected view is occupying.

To have the measured values reflect the actual dimensions of the object you have to adjust the "Measurement Scale" of the Coordinates. If the scale of the view is 2, then the measurement scale needs to be 1:2. If the view scale is 4, then the measurement scale needs to be 1:4.

Another point to be aware of regarding Coordinates, is that the "Origin" is not attached to the view like the "Mark Points". The origin is attached to the model space or layout space. It you move a projected view the coordinates will move with the view (as the "Mark Points" are attached), but the values will now be different, as the "Origin" hasn't moved. Again, because the "Origin" isn't linked to the project view or object. As a result, whenever you move a projected view or object that has coordinates, you then need to move the origins of those coordinates to the appropriate location on the object.

Coordinates are extremely helpful for very detailed parts where there isn't enough room for dimensions, but because they behave very differently in CAXA, users need to be wary. As you have discovered.

Malcolm

This post has been edited by Malcolm Crowe: Jun 2 2017, 05:43 AM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  CAXA_2017_PU1___Coordinate_Dimensions___Measurement_Scale.mp4 ( 2.62mb ) Number of downloads: 21
+Quote Post
PWATSON
post Jun 2 2017, 01:20 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 62,012

Thanks Malcolm,

I suspected that. Was just hoping that there was a setting to change that.

I did discover that the origin stays put while moving a view. That feature seems incredibly un-useful to me. I wonder how many people have been burned with a small inadvertent move of the view.

cheers,

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

All content copyright IronCAD 2000-2008 Low-Bandwidth View Time is now: 21st September 2017 - 10:17 AM