Add mitre bend

It's because the Miter tool changes the settings of the "bend extension" (or leg) of the bend feature. It doesn't do any changes to the curves in the stock. A Bend with Stock is actually two features in one drop.

Thanks Jonas.

I am trying to clean-up this one though, and putting a relief mess up the mitre using out bend to maintain the dimensions. Maybe I should just use bend and compensate for the final dimension.

SM_Part49_CF_957.6.ics

Edited by jolizon590016

Is this part ok?

SM_Part49_CF_957.6_Mirror.ics

I found that if you add a bend, then use the Miter tool only to create the nice looking flange and remove the Miter again - the bend is still cut in the angle.

MiteredBend.png

Using the Mirror tool to copy the bends to the other side seems to be working fine.

MirroredBends.png

No, that's true! I didn't use Out Bends and I never do that in general either. Everything works much better when you don't use In/out Bends and you never really have to use them either. This comes down to how you think when you're working with the Sheet Metal parts and tools. With the new Associative Edges settings it might be easier to solve certain shapes and harder in other cases. You need to learn the pro's and con's of the settings.

The bug report you made is still valid for Out Bends, but I just wanted to show that you might be able to do it anyway, in another way.

Hi Jonas,

Thanks for sharing this way of doing things. Your model is concise and clean. I need to practice and make models with end dimension in mind. Never thought mirror can be used for this one. wink.gif

Here are 4 ways of modeling the same part, depending on how you use the Miter Flange and Mirror features on the bends. As you can see the "Closed Corner" only works with certain corners due to the effect of the Miter Flanges.

MiterBend_Difference.png

MiterBend_Difference.ics

And I would probably make the holes (in your original part) as stand alone features (Custom Profile) instead of drawing them in the sketch of the Stock (main feature), since it makes it easier to move them afterwards. Either by using the Triball, the Position Dimensions or using the Stretch tool.