sheetmetal lines

dberge

Hi,

i have a question about sheetmetal.

When i regenerate on old sheetmetalpart to a new i get stripes when the sheetmetalstock is not tight to the bend. This is laso with the new sheetmetal from 2016.

I prefer the ols situation not seeing the stripes. Am i the only one?

Meaby a choice in settings?

Wimsheetmetal.JPG

Yes the new behavior is to show the Bend lines and overlapping conditions. In the old behavior you can create an overlap and the faces merge so you do not know the condition and it can fail to unfold. The new behavior will show the lines and in most cases allow the unfold since it has an order of how they are built. I don't think there is an option to revert to the merge case but we can file to support.

Cary

Hi Cary

We have many parts that consists of stocks and add stocks that we use to strecht to different lenghts.

We need a sqaure part in the middle for strechting so the side parts will stay in shape.

They look very weird now in the drawing with all the lines , and are confusing. I still us the old settings but for old parts, but i cant build new ones like this, so i would be very happy if you ask support for the possibility to convert. Thank you.

Regards WimKnipsel.JPG

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Wim,

In 2018, the add stock will not create the edge between two stocks. On your file, if I recreate that add stock, it will merge the face. I don't think there is a way to simply update the model from a code standpoint since there are many conditions that are somewhat difficult to account for.

Can you verify my statement on the merge of the face in 2018?

Thanks

Cary

On another note, In that condition, why are you creating an add stock? The original stock can be edited to give you the correct result. I think the sheet metal may fail to unfold if you recreate it since you are attempting to add a stock to an existing bend segment. I think you will need to edit the original stock in this condition for it to properly unfold.

Cary

** Correction ** It will unfold properly. It just seemed odd to me in this condition.

A reason why many uses numerous Add Stock features instead of editing the Sketch of the Stock or Add Stock might be that we use various "drag and drop features" from the Shapes catalog to build "ordinary parts". Applying the exact same thinking on Sheet Metal is not viable in all cases, which this shows. You need to understand and use the Sheet Metal tools a bit differently.

Using the Sketch tools and the Shape handles is really useful and precise, but a little more difficult to master.

• 4 months later...
A reason why many uses numerous Add Stock features instead of editing the Sketch of the Stock or Add Stock might be that we use various "drag and drop features"  from the Shapes catalog to build "ordinary parts". Applying the exact same thinking on Sheet Metal is not viable in all cases, which this shows. You need to understand and use the Sheet Metal tools a bit differently.

Using the Sketch tools and the Shape handles is really useful and precise, but a little more difficult to master.

46818[/snapback]

I understand what you mean Jonas. I use the snap en sketch too in other occassions.

Why use the add stock is in the occassion that i want to strech assemblies with lots of parts.

Then the sketch tool is not the way to handle this.

I use ironcad for 19 years , i know what the possibilties are.....

Wim