Sheet Metal- Add Curved Stock

WPATTERSON

G'day Guys, I am relatively new to Iron Cad.

I am having problems with adding curved stock to a sheet metal design.

I am trying to curve the stock in relation to another profile on the top of my part. See Pictures.

When i edit the cross section i project the constraint of the top profile/ radius (95mm) and move it to the start point of the original cross section of the curved stock.

When i press the finish shape button i get an error saying 'no reference path was found for the curved stock.

For the life of me, i cannot work out how to create the reference path.

Can somebody point me in the right direction please or possibly even give me a better way of doing it.

Thanks Wespost-63124-1409306396_thumb.jpgpost-63124-1409306409_thumb.jpgpost-63124-1409306417_thumb.jpg

Wes,

It cant be done.

Reason is that Sheet metal in Ironcad is about creating parts that can be manufactured by fold/ unfolding in 2- dimensions.

What you are trying to achieve is a 3D dimensional sheet metal part. That is created in another type of process in a shop floor. Don't now the English words for it but that kind of parts are formed with a pressing method rather than being bended in a bending machine.

Say you have created your part successfully in Ironcad, how should that part be manufactured?

With what tool/ machinery I mean.

Picture of Sheet metal bending (2D) machine and a 3D forming tool:

bock.PNG

press.PNG

G'day Guys, I am relatively new to Iron Cad.

I am having problems with adding curved stock to a sheet metal design.

I am trying to curve the stock in relation to another profile on the top of my part. See Pictures.

When i edit the cross section i project the constraint of the top profile/ radius (95mm) and move it to the start point of the original cross section of the curved stock.

When i press the finish shape button i get an error saying 'no reference path was found for the curved stock.

For the life of me, i cannot work out how to create the reference path.

Can somebody point me in the right direction please or possibly even give me a better way of doing it.

Thanks WesEdit_cross_section.JPGMove_Projected_constraint.JPGError_Message.JPG

38629[/snapback]

all is well, just a line that you draw should be constructional, not constant/full as in your case. tongue.gif

linia_konstrukcyjna.jpg

I think the process require to get this done is with tool and die so it might be a stamped or formed piece of sheet metal similar to a sink where the cavity is drawn as Robert wrote. It requires more than folding process alone and IC and do the tool die. I found a guide: http://sheetmetal.me/ and http://www.sheetmetalguy.com/index.htm that can be of use for everyone.

Hey Wes, welcome to the community - cheers

Joseph

thought of something give this a try

Move_Projected_constraint.png

Edited by jolizon590016

Thank you guys for your welcome & input. Apologies for not getting back sooner.

I figured it out only moments after i sent the query. I used the poly arc tool after projecting the constraints of the top surface/ radius. Then moved that arc to the start of the existing profile and waaa laaa!! See attachments.

Just some more info.

If you guessed that the drawing was of a bull bar wing you were right. See attachment not finished. On the shop floor we plasma cut the flat profile of the three part bumper and bend it in our pan brake. In order to produce that arc on our shop floor we clamp the 'center' & 'wing' in a jig with its top face against a vertical plane.Once the first half of the "wing is welded to the center we use a hand winch (tirfor) between the two outer extremities to pull the top profile of the outer section to meet up with its mating half. The curved stock is created by pulling the front face around the radius of the top profile thus creating the radius-ed corner. The two halves are then welded together. See finished product.

Wes

post-63124-1409559370_thumb.jpg

post-63124-1409559382_thumb.jpg

post-63124-1409559605_thumb.jpg

post-63124-1409559651_thumb.jpg

Nice to know you have sorted it out. Thanks for sharing your work around on this. The vertex fillet may work in place of the radius-ed edge.

fold_and_edge.png

Hope this helps too.

Fold_and__edge_bend.ics

Edited by jolizon590016

• 2 months later...