How to reduce ICS file size

ysinitsyn

If you made a complex 3D part, then you will have a big file size. ZIP Archiver is useless in this case. How to reduce a file size?

Put your model in a cube smile.gif.

Useful, when sending ics files by email.

example.zip

PS: You can download the ICube Addin from the last post.

http://www.ironcad.com/support/community/i...indpost&p=32907

Edited by ysinitsyn

another thing to try!

After working on a large file for a while and saving ever so often the file gets large.

Once done do a "Save As" and rename it. The New File will be much smaller.

Dallas

I brought in your "original.ics" and put a cube on it and saved it and It did it.

Hard to understand why it works?

Edited by dhovatter

Guest EricFoy

If you have a large assembly with many parts, then "cubing" them all is a tall order. As a pretty good alternative, try de-selecting the options to save the facets and the b-rep data with the file. Also, you can dial down the rendering smoothness on all the parts, though that one is a bit cumbersome too.

I got some files to drop their size by half just be de-selecting the two options I mentioned.

On this same subject, I recently learned that if you set a sky-box active, then use a different background, such as the two-color option, IC continues to save the skybox images with the file, UNLESS you specifically choose the "none" option in the skybox dialog (even if you delete the file name from the dialog, you must also select "none").

Thanks, Kevin, for the help on that one.

I had inadvertently left the skybox image loaded into what I was using as my default template file, so every little file I created started out life at 38MB! Ouch.

Hard to understand why it works?

31680[/snapback]

I think it working like this:

Because the cube is wrap all volume of the part, then previous geometry is "suppressed". The cube is a simple geometry, so the file size is not large. When you delete the cube the Ironcad will rebuild whole model using histori tree (like macros).

Guest EricFoy

Actually, that's not a bad idea... Two simple toolbar buttons: 1) Cube all parts in selected parents. 2) De-cube all.

If you are going to add a way to cube and un-cube. Why can IC not just use this tecnique automatical to save and open files. Have an option to "Save Compressed" and then when the file is opened it automatically de-compresses.

Dallas

If you are going to add a way to cube and un-cube. Why can IC not just use this tecnique automatical to save and open files. Have an option to "Save Compressed"  and then when the file is opened it automatically de-compresses.

Dallas

31698[/snapback]

In some cases cubing and especially un-cubing can take long time. And, I think, broken parts (blend edges error, etc.) are very posible. Need to be careful in deciding to include this "buggy" function in Ironcad.

Addin with "As-is" philosophy has the right to life.

• 4 months later...

Here you are!

ICube Addin Alpha version.

ICubeAddin.zip

Two simple toolbar buttons: 1) Cube all parts in a scene. 2) De-cube all.

Installation:

1) Registration of the DLL can be accomplished by double-clicking ICubeAddin.reg file.

2) Copy ICubeAddin.dll to "Bin" folder of Ironcad (example "C:\Program Files\IronCAD\2012\bin").

3) Start the IronCAD application. Go to "Add-ins" tab. Push the button "Add-In Aplications". Check the box "ICubeAddin".

After following the steps outlined, you should see two new buttons.

Any comments and bug reports are welcome.

Edited by ysinitsyn

• 3 years later...