Creating bends on sheetmetal vertex

HDEAR

I got into grief trying to add a bend to a sheet metal vertex chamfer feature.

Pic 1 - Shows the bracket with two bends and a vertex chamfer added

Pic 2 - Add a standard bend

Pic 3 - Unfold = undesired result! The square of the original material stock shows up !!! ????

Pic 4 - Instead, create a mitre corner feature and select the hypotenuse of the vertex chamfer feature where you want the bend to form

Pic 5 - Bend created - NOTE! Make sure you do closed corners on the previous bends AFTER you add the mitre to the vertex chamfer, otherwise you'll get strange results

Pic 6 - Unfolded ( if you're observant you'll see the odd result on the right hand side of the new bend because I performed the closed corners prior instead of after! )

Pic 7 - I actually now need the bend to go the other way, so I re-did the mitre and applied to the bottom edge

Pic 8 - Unfold ninja.gifrolleyes.gif

If there's a simpler way of doing this, I'm all ears.

Oh, and if anyone could explain why 'Bend' created a problem with unfold, yet Mitre didn't, that would be great. wink.gif

Harley

EQBRKT_1.JPG

EQBRKT_2.JPG

EQBRKT_3.JPG

EQBRKT_4.JPG

EQBRKT_5.JPG

EQBRKT_6.JPG

EQBRKT_7.JPG

EQBRKT_8.JPG

Edited by HDEAR

Could you have edited the cross section of your original stock to create the corner chamfer? I tend to think of the Sheetmetal tools for "Vertex Fillet" & "Vertex Chamfer" as finishing options, so I don't add them until everything else is the way I want it.

39573[/snapback]

Thanks. Yes, I have since learned this is a better way to go. Being a newbie, I wasn't aware that tool ( 'Edit cross-Section' ) could be used to shape sheet-metal when I posted that so now I have to suffer some embarrassment blush.gif

Live and learn

Harley