Sheet metal unfold problem

HDEAR

I have been having intermittent trouble with unfold in sheet metal since product update#1

Here's a typical example. Refer first attachment - I have created this corner detail using stock, bends, closed corner reliefs etc.

When I unfold the item, only part of it turns into the development.

I have had to start doing one bend at a time and unfolding just to make progress. Sometimes just deleting the bend and starting again works, sometimes not.

A mixture of add stock or add stock with bend sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

Trial file shows problem. Trial 2 file shows progress

Unfold_problem_1.JPG

Unfold_problem_relief.JPG

Unfold_problem.JPG

Trial_IP65_fold.ics

Trial_2___IP65_fold.ics

Re-edit the bend radius and works

45382[/snapback]

Thanks, but that didn't quote work when I opened it. One fold is still completely missing.

Refer 1st attachment - you see the suppressed unfold against the folded item. 2nd attachment shows the part unfolded.

3rd and 4th attachments show the unfold of the model I made, which took many attempts to finally got the item to unfold correctly and include all features.

ICS file attached shows all 3 models - my first one that didn't unfold, your one and the one I had to work over several times.

Clearly something is wrong when I have to stage several attempts to get it the item to unfold with all the correct details - either a bug in the programme or in my settings - I can't work out which it is.

Unfold_problem___solution_not_resolved.JPG

Unfold_problem___solution_not_resolved_2.JPG

Trial_2___IP65_fold.ics

I gave it a shot by changing the order it was made. But you are right I have to manually align the length the closed corner relief

So are you saying it's a bug in the programme?

Edited by HDEAR

I was thinking of putting a constraint on the stock so the bend won't move back past the edge where the closed relief was set.

I am not sure if it is a bug, but I think you shouldn't align the bend length to corner as it would be tedious enough if you add other bends on the open corners.

There should be a explanation on the behavior.

Edited by jolizon590016

Guest TCHITANDA

Hello

This seems to be a design error. If you look at the scene browser at each of the parts

that do not unfold correctly you can see from the structure that it is being caused by the user having bend geometry on other

bends and not stock. The sheet metal parts that will behave correctly upon unfold

require that bends be placed on stock and not each other.

Hello

This seems to be a design  error. If you look at the scene browser at each of the parts

that do not unfold correctly you can see from the structure that it is being caused by the user having bend geometry on other

bends and not stock. The sheet metal parts that will behave correctly upon unfold

require that bends be placed on stock and not each other.

45428[/snapback]

Thanks - yes that seems to be the problem; "parts

that do not unfold correctly you can see from the structure that it is being caused by the user having bend geometry on other"

Is there literature or instruction manuals/videos that cover this problem? It seems that there are many little tricks when it comes to IC sheet-metal and it would be good to have a comprehensive manual backed up by video. I've been working in IC sheet-metal now for 3 years yet there are still pitfalls that seem to trip me up. I am sure other people experience this too.

I'm a little confused how you originally created the part and why the "Stock" was deleted to start. In general I don't think the "Stock" being deleted is the issue. I believe the "0" gap between the edges is the issue. Typically when you create a closed corner, there is a gap setback. If you set it to something like "0.001" you will be able to unfold without any issues in most cases. If you set to 0, then you can run into the case where the system can't decipher the geometry correctly and yield the bad results (the system thinks it is correct but it is not technically).

Attached is the model redone with a stock and the "0.001mm" setback on the closed corner. If you need a video of how this was created, let us know and we can create it.

Cary

Trial_2___IP65_fold.ics

• 2 weeks later...
I'm a little confused how you originally created the part and why the "Stock" was deleted to start.

I can't remember why either! I guess it was when I was screwing around trying to find the best way to design the overall end of the cabinet and deleted the stock for some reason. It all started to go pear shape when I modified the reliefs to closed.

In general I don't think the "Stock" being deleted is the issue. I believe the "0" gap between the edges is the issue. Typically when you create a closed corner, there is a gap setback. If you set it to something like "0.001" you will be able to unfold without any issues in most cases. If you set to 0, then you can run into the case where the system can't decipher the geometry correctly and yield the bad results (the system thinks it is correct but it is not technically).

Attached is the model redone with a stock and the "0.001mm" setback on the closed corner. If you need a video of how this was created, let us know and we can create it.

Cary

Trial_2___IP65_fold.ics

45435[/snapback]

Now that's something I didn't check - the setback - which I normally have at ( say ) 0.2mm in real life. Yes please, a video on how you create that would be nice.